[SOLVED] Can't see other devices on local network via tethering

gesaugen

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2005
I have two PCs with win7 and NAS connected to the ISP's modem/router.
PC#1 and NAS are connected to the router via utp cable
PC#2 is connected to the router via wifi connection in a way that an andorid phone is connected to it via USB cable and set in tethering mode.

Problem is that PC#2 can't connect to the PC#1 or NAS via local network but it can connect to the NAS web interface via IP adress but it can surf the internet normally. And I would like to connect to the NAS or PC#1 via windows local network and to copy files from and to them.
I've noticed that in "Devices and printers" of PC#2 there's only an "andorid" device, where on PC#1 there's "NAS"
Anyone knows can I access shared folders on NAS and PC#1 from PC#2 which is connected to the lan via tethering provided by usb-connected andorid phone?

Solution
It will only work in one direction but I think you got lucky. If the NAS was on the tethered connection it would not be possible.

You should be able to mount the shares by IP address. Since you can get to the web interface of the NAS it means you can also mount the drive. You must key in the IP rather than just click on stuff since the network discovery feature only works on the same ip subnet.

I suspect this will reduce the life of your phone. Most times I have done this the devices were fairly hot. A usb wifi card is under $20. Avoid those tiny one that cost $5

kanewolf

Titan
I have two PCs with win7 and NAS connected to the ISP's modem/router.
PC#1 and NAS are connected to the router via utp cable
PC#2 is connected to the router via wifi connection in a way that an andorid phone is connected to it via USB cable and set in tethering mode.

Problem is that PC#2 can't connect to the PC#1 or NAS via local network but it can connect to the NAS web interface via IP adress but it can surf the internet normally. And I would like to connect to the NAS or PC#1 via windows local network and to copy files from and to them.
I've noticed that in "Devices and printers" of PC#2 there's only an "andorid" device, where on PC#1 there's "NAS"
Anyone knows can I access shared folders on NAS and PC#1 from PC#2 which is connected to the lan via tethering provided by usb-connected andorid phone?
Is the android phone using cellular or WIFI? Usually a tethered host gets internet via cellular data.

gesaugen

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2005
My guess is that the phone ISN'T acting like a simple USB WIFI adapter and more like a router. Check the IP ddress you get. Is it in the same range as the wired devices?
When i check the "status" of the android wifi connection, ip says 192.168.42.28
Just for info, my router is old ZTE and it's ip is 192.168.1.1
I've tried to set up static ip of android wifi to 192.168.1.70 with gateway of 192.168.1.1 but it didn't work and i had lost internet connectivity

kanewolf

Titan
When i check the "status" of the android wifi connection, ip says 192.168.42.28
Just for info, my router is old ZTE and it's ip is 192.168.1.1
I've tried to set up static ip of android wifi to 192.168.1.70 with gateway of 192.168.1.1 but it didn't work and i had lost internet connectivity
Yep, as I thought, the phone is acting like a router. You, probably will have to get a real WIFI adapter.

gesaugen

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2005
Yep, as I thought, the phone is acting like a router. You, probably will have to get a real WIFI adapter.
Isn't there a way to set it up that even if it is acting as a router, it can see other devices on the network?
It's not that i can't but a real wifi card, it's just that i want to be sure that this way isn't possible to work :)

It will only work in one direction but I think you got lucky. If the NAS was on the tethered connection it would not be possible.

You should be able to mount the shares by IP address. Since you can get to the web interface of the NAS it means you can also mount the drive. You must key in the IP rather than just click on stuff since the network discovery feature only works on the same ip subnet.

I suspect this will reduce the life of your phone. Most times I have done this the devices were fairly hot. A usb wifi card is under $20. Avoid those tiny one that cost $5

Solution