Can't See Second HDD in Device Manager

G

Hello, I have a problem. I recently bought a Seagate 1TB HDD. I connected it an all, but although I can see it in Device Manager under Disc Drives , it doesn't show up in the IDE/ATA ATAPI -ATA Channel tab- when I check the properties of the channel I only see my main hard drive and its mode DMA, but not the second one- like it's not even there.
I'm having major problems installing anything on that new hard drive- it always freezes my computer and I have to manually shut down- and since I can't see it in Device Manager I don't know if it's working in PIO mode.
My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-M55Plus S3G rev 1.0.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If this really is an IDE drive, did you set up the jumpers on your original drive (Master, or Master with Slave Present if that's the option) AND on the new one (Slave)? They should show up in BIOS Setup that way.

Any new empty drive needs a two-step Initialization process before the OS can use it. Those are Partition and Format. If you have not done those Windows can't use it. You can do them manually using Disk Management tools, or you can download a utility for this from the Seagate website (if it did not already come on a CD with your drive).

TRENDING THREADS