Can't see USB external hard drive

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case (DRX-530UL) to house an IDE hard
drive. I only have USB inputs in the computer. It detects a USB Mass
Storage Device in Device Manager and says a suitable driver is already
installed. Yet nothing comes up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
There used to be a DVD burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the
circuitry is designed solely for the DVD burner and not for a hard drive? I
also tried it (with the USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck as well.

Hi Bubba,
It should be showing when you click My Computer, it should show the
device as a seperate letter like drive c as an example.

"Bubba" wrote:

> I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case (DRX-530UL) to house an IDE hard
> drive. I only have USB inputs in the computer. It detects a USB Mass
> Storage Device in Device Manager and says a suitable driver is already
> installed. Yet nothing comes up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
> There used to be a DVD burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the
> circuitry is designed solely for the DVD burner and not for a hard drive? I
> also tried it (with the USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck as well.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> > I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case (DRX-530UL) to house an
> > IDE hard drive. I only have USB inputs in the computer. It detects a
> > USB Mass Storage Device (a second hard drive) in Device Manager
> > and says a suitable driver is already installed. Yet nothing comes up
> > in Windows Explorer or Disk Management. There used to be a DVD
> > burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the circuitry is designed
solely
> > for the DVD burner and not for a hard drive? I also tried it (with the
> > USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck as well.
> >
> It should be showing when you click My Computer, it should show the
> device as a seperate letter like drive c as an example.

No doubt that's what it SHOULD do. But it ain't doin' it. I only wish I
knew
why.

Bubba wrote:
> I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case (DRX-530UL) to house an IDE hard
> drive. I only have USB inputs in the computer. It detects a USB Mass
> Storage Device in Device Manager and says a suitable driver is already
> installed. Yet nothing comes up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
> There used to be a DVD burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the
> circuitry is designed solely for the DVD burner and not for a hard drive? I
> also tried it (with the USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck as well.

*******************NOT SPAM BRUCEY*******************
Try going to manufacturer's site and see if there are any special
drivers or jumpers needed. Also you may try DriverGuide.
-max

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

>> I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case (DRX-530UL) to house an IDE
>> hard
>> drive. I only have USB inputs in the computer. It detects a USB Mass
>> Storage Device in Device Manager and says a suitable driver is already
>> installed. Yet nothing comes up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
>> There used to be a DVD burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the
>> circuitry is designed solely for the DVD burner and not for a hard
>> drive? I
>> also tried it (with the USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck as well.
>>
> Try going to manufacturer's site and see if there are any special
> drivers or jumpers needed. Also you may try DriverGuide.

I did. No luck.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

>> I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case (DRX-530UL) to house an IDE
>> hard
>> drive. I only have USB inputs in the computer. It detects a USB Mass
>> Storage Device in Device Manager and says a suitable driver is already
>> installed. Yet nothing comes up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
>> There used to be a DVD burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the
>> circuitry is designed solely for the DVD burner and not for a hard
>> drive? I
>> also tried it (with the USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck as well.
>>
> Try going to manufacturer's site and see if there are any special
> drivers or jumpers needed. Also you may try DriverGuide.

The problem might be that this used to house a DVD burner. Now I replaced
the burner with a hard drive. I need drivers for a USB mass storage device
perhaps. But nothing has worked so far. I thought USB was plug and play.

Right click My Computer - manage. Goto disk management and see if the drive
shows - if it does you may need to change the drive letter assignment.

"Bubba" <respondtogroup@here.com> wrote in message
> I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case (DRX-530UL) to house an IDE
> hard
> drive. I only have USB inputs in the computer. It detects a USB Mass
> Storage Device in Device Manager and says a suitable driver is already
> installed. Yet nothing comes up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
> There used to be a DVD burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the
> circuitry is designed solely for the DVD burner and not for a hard drive?
> also tried it (with the USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck as well.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

>> I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case (DRX-530UL) to house an IDE
>> hard drive. I only have USB inputs in the computer. It detects a USB
>> Mass Storage Device in Device Manager and says a suitable driver is
>> already
>> installed. Yet nothing comes up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.
>> There used to be a DVD burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the
>> circuitry is designed solely for the DVD burner and not for a hard
>> drive? I also tried it (with the USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck
>> as well.
>
> Right click My Computer - manage. Goto disk management and see if the
> drive shows - if it does you may need to change the drive letter
> assignment.

See above. Nothing shows up in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.

GeoffW

is the format compatible ?

try changing the jumpers on the drive itself - try the lot
if it first does not work ie cable select / master / slave

Is the drive getting enough power from the port ? does it
need an additional power cable or supply ?

good luck

Geoff

> > > I'm using a Sony external firewire/usb case
(DRX-530UL) to house an
> > > IDE hard drive. I only have USB inputs in the
computer. It detects a
> > > USB Mass Storage Device (a second hard drive) in
Device Manager
> > > and says a suitable driver is already installed. Yet
nothing comes up
> > > in Windows Explorer or Disk Management. There used to
be a DVD
> > > burner in this enclosure. Could it be that the
circuitry is designed
> solely
> > > for the DVD burner and not for a hard drive? I also
tried it (with the
> > > USB and Firewire) in a Mac with no luck as well.
> > >
> > It should be showing when you click My Computer, it
should show the
> > device as a seperate letter like drive c as an example.
>
> No doubt that's what it SHOULD do. But it ain't doin' it.
I only wish I
> knew
> why.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> (DRX-530UL) to house an
> computer. It detects a
> Device Manager
> nothing comes up
> be a DVD
> circuitry is designed
>> solely
> tried it (with the
>> > >
>> > It should be showing when you click My Computer, it
> should show the
>> > device as a seperate letter like drive c as an example.
>>
>> No doubt that's what it SHOULD do. But it ain't doin' it.
> I only wish I
>> knew
>> why.
>>
> is the format compatible ?
>
> try changing the jumpers on the drive itself - try the lot
> if it first does not work ie cable select / master / slave

Did it. Nothing worked.

> Is the drive getting enough power from the port ? does it
> need an additional power cable or supply ?

Yes.

GeoffW

"Bubba" <replytogroup@ok.com> wrote in message
> > (DRX-530UL) to house an
> > computer. It detects a
> > Device Manager
Yet
> > nothing comes up
> > be a DVD
> > circuitry is designed
> >> solely
also
> > tried it (with the

> > should show the
example.

> >> No doubt that's what it SHOULD do. But it ain't doin'
it.
> > I only wish I
> >> knew
> >> why.
> >>
> > is the format compatible ?
> >
> > try changing the jumpers on the drive itself - try the
lot
> > if it first does not work ie cable select / master /
slave

> Did it. Nothing worked.
>
> > Is the drive getting enough power from the port ? does
it
> > need an additional power cable or supply ?
>
> Yes.

are you sure the drive is alive ?