I am trying to setup a HP Laptop to connect to an in-home wireless router.
The system had been working but due to a hdd failure the system was re-built
(XP Pro/SP2). I am using a Linksys Wireless G card and installed and
configured the card using the Linksys CD (it seemed to go fine) but when I
go to the device manager the card is not there. As I recall, there used to
be a sound when the card was inserted - that does not occur either.

Any thought on how to debug this?

Wayne

"Wayne Wengert" <wayneSKIPSPAM@wengert.org> wrote in message
>I am trying to setup a HP Laptop to connect to an in-home wireless router.
>The system had been working but due to a hdd failure the system was
>re-built (XP Pro/SP2). I am using a Linksys Wireless G card and installed
>and configured the card using the Linksys CD (it seemed to go fine) but
>when I go to the device manager the card is not there. As I recall, there
>used to be a sound when the card was inserted - that does not occur either.
>
> Any thought on how to debug this?
>
> Wayne

I have seen this happen when a user removes the card without "stopping" it
using the "safely Remove Hardware" icon in the system tray. Then you are
ready to remove the card, click on the Safely remove Hardware icon, select
the wireless card, and Stop it. A window will pop up telling you it is safe
to remove the card. With many cards, if you remove the card while started.
it will corrupt the drivers, and windows may no longer detect the card at
all.

Bobby

You say that your card isn't being shown in Device manager. Are there any
"unknown devices" in device manager? If so, try the Add new hardware wizard
in the control panel...choose locate the driver yourself (or have disk or
something like that) and choose it off of your Linksys CD.

Hope this helps,
Jason Ryon
"Wayne Wengert" wrote:

> I am trying to setup a HP Laptop to connect to an in-home wireless router.
> The system had been working but due to a hdd failure the system was re-built
> (XP Pro/SP2). I am using a Linksys Wireless G card and installed and
> configured the card using the Linksys CD (it seemed to go fine) but when I
> go to the device manager the card is not there. As I recall, there used to
> be a sound when the card was inserted - that does not occur either.
>
> Any thought on how to debug this?
>
> Wayne

I appreciate the suggestions. It is my neighbor's computer and when I see
him tomorrow I'll try those ideas.

Wayne

"Wayne Wengert" <wayneSKIPSPAM@wengert.org> wrote in message
>I am trying to setup a HP Laptop to connect to an in-home wireless router.
>The system had been working but due to a hdd failure the system was
>re-built (XP Pro/SP2). I am using a Linksys Wireless G card and installed
>and configured the card using the Linksys CD (it seemed to go fine) but
>when I go to the device manager the card is not there. As I recall, there
>used to be a sound when the card was inserted - that does not occur either.
>
> Any thought on how to debug this?
>
> Wayne

"Wayne Wengert" <wayneSKIPSPAM@wengert.org> wrote in message
> I am trying to setup a HP Laptop to connect to an in-home wireless router.
> The system had been working but due to a hdd failure the system was
re-built
> (XP Pro/SP2). I am using a Linksys Wireless G card and installed and
> configured the card using the Linksys CD (it seemed to go fine) but when I
> go to the device manager the card is not there. As I recall, there used to
> be a sound when the card was inserted - that does not occur either.
>
> Any thought on how to debug this?
>
> Wayne

Does *anything* else that you put into the slot trigger detection? This is
where you need to start.

It may be that during the reinstall not all drivers were loaded (like the
core pcmcia drivers). I've had a situation where I had to run the repair
install to get bits of hardware working.

Run the uninstaller for the card, restart the machine, put the card back in.
Is it detected?

HTH
-pk