Feb 5, 2020
HP 500-054
MOBO MS-7778 (JasmineR)
CPU AMD A8 -5500
Mem 12GB DDR3
PSU 500 W Cool Max
500 GB SSD Hard Drive
Win 10 64 bit
Note Although not a part of this upgrade it does have the latest Bios from the SSD upgrade I last made.

Trying to install PNY GTX650
I have upgraded the power supply and installed the card
go into the bios and enabled the slot
gone into security and chose legacy boot

From reboot the fan spins on the card but nothing is seen. Video is still coming from on board
I search a few sites and tried
Reset Cmos Jumper
I manually tried to find install the card. The GTX 650 does not have native Win 10 drivers bit it has a driver that claims to work with win 8 and should work with win 10 but the issue us the card is not even being seen.
Any ideas?

Solution
Solved!! I replaced the Cooler master back into the case. While I'm not PSU expert (wink) my load testing on the PSU showed no issues and no instability issues. It had been my experience in the past that if I had a blown cap my PSU I would see system errors , intermittent restarts, or voltages readings that were not correct under load or errors showing in the logs with system restarts when I was away. None of these clues led me to believe this was correct so I ruled that out and cracked on. I took a step back and looked everything over. I revisited this list of things I had done and took it back to basics. I reseated the card once more. This HP case uses a clip like device to hold all the expansion cards in place. My thought was...
Feb 5, 2020
Proves nothing. A cheapo can easily take a dump on you when you put it under load. If it's 5 years old, even more chance its caps have degraded.

But you crack on. You've been given good advice, up to you whether or not you take it.
This is a brand new power supply I just installed it I have tested the connections still giving right loads of it were older I would agree the is a power supply replacement as is of the same quality is the original hp psu

Feb 5, 2020
Proves nothing. A cheapo can easily take a dump on you when you put it under load. If it's 5 years old, even more chance its caps have degraded.

But you crack on. You've been given good advice, up to you whether or not you take it.
This is a brand new power supply I just installed it I have tested the connections still giving right loads of it were older I would agree the is a power supply replacement as is of the same quality . If it was a cap issue it would not give the correct voltameter reading if it was a cap it may not even power on

Feb 5, 2020
well since you feel that there is nothing more than a power supply I switched it out with an EVGA 650 watt power supply that I had it another working PC. I could not use this power supply as the HP has size limitations in the cool Masters the only one that will fit. I was able to run the other power supply off to the side and I place the cables to the side again it runs but again it's not finding the card so I can rule out that it's not the power supply that I purchased.at this point the only thing I can figure out is there might be a problem with the slot or the card.

Feb 5, 2020
Solved!! I replaced the Cooler master back into the case. While I'm not PSU expert (wink) my load testing on the PSU showed no issues and no instability issues. It had been my experience in the past that if I had a blown cap my PSU I would see system errors , intermittent restarts, or voltages readings that were not correct under load or errors showing in the logs with system restarts when I was away. None of these clues led me to believe this was correct so I ruled that out and cracked on. I took a step back and looked everything over. I revisited this list of things I had done and took it back to basics. I reseated the card once more. This HP case uses a clip like device to hold all the expansion cards in place. My thought was maybe it was not exerting enough even pressure on the video card. The card took up two spaces and did look a little wonky and at this point felt I have nothing to lose. I remove the clip and tapped holes for screws and then tighten down the card and it is alive. How about that. I'm sure glad I did crack on.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS