Question Can't seem to update certain drivers without freezing Windows 10

Aug 19, 2019
Hi, I recently built a new pc and most of it went ok, I put a fresh install of Windows 10 on a Samsung 860 evo (it already had one on from a previous pc). I installed the windows updates through the updated feature on the settings and that went all ok. When I used DriverEasy to find more specific drivers that went fine but when I went to do Radeon drivers is would start installing then freeze the whole pc, no mouse movement then shortly after it would restart. I couldn't get it to install through anything even in safe mode until I went into the bios and set the RAM speed to 3600mhz then it installed. After this I thought I fixed it but after a week or so I went to install some Logitech software for my mouse and the same freezing issue happened. So today I have tried to update my Radeon driver and again same freezing issue is happening.

Tried a sfc/scannow which it said it found issues but couldn't fix, tried it again and it fix them apparently. Didn't fix the issue
I have reinstalled windows however still same freezing issues. Didn't fix the issue
I updated my motherboard bios to 7C37vA2. Didn't fix the issue

Apart from all of this the pc works fine its just this issues I'm aware of.

Any help is really appreciated as I'm new to this.
Thanks!

My specs
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: Radeon RX 580
RAM: DDR4 2*8Gb 3600MHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Drives: C: Samsung 860 Evo SSD
D: Toshiba 1TB HDD
E: Samsung 970 M.2 SSD

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
All I can say, if it's feasible, is start again from scratch with a completely clean reinstall of Windows 10:
a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

Then, do NOT use any third-party driver updater, ever [with the exception of OEM equipment driver update utilities, which are safe].

Also, don't touch drivers until or unless there is an indication that what installed with Windows 10 is problematic in some way. The size of the driver library that Microsoft can now pull from is huge, and while it's not that one never needs to seek out a driver that's needed far less frequently than in the early days of Windows 10.

What follows is not meant to start a war with a moderator, but what has been offered here is in direct contradiction to the entirety of my experience with Version 1903, whether it was installed as 1903 or the result of a feature update from an earlier version. I would not resort to an earlier version, then upgrade, as the first course of action, but would do a straight clean reinstall of 1903 instead.

Aug 19, 2019
All I can say, if it's feasible, is start again from scratch with a completely clean reinstall of Windows 10:
a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

Then, do NOT use any third-party driver updater, ever [with the exception of OEM equipment driver update utilities, which are safe].

Also, don't touch drivers until or unless there is an indication that what installed with Windows 10 is problematic in some way. The size of the driver library that Microsoft can now pull from is huge, and while it's not that one never needs to seek out a driver that's needed far less frequently than in the early days of Windows 10.

What follows is not meant to start a war with a moderator, but what has been offered here is in direct contradiction to the entirety of my experience with Version 1903, whether it was installed as 1903 or the result of a feature update from an earlier version. I would not resort to an earlier version, then upgrade, as the first course of action, but would do a straight clean reinstall of 1903 instead.

Ok I have wiped all partitions of all drives to be safe and installed windows. I have let windows do some updates through the settings page and made sure there isn't anymore updates from windows. After this tried to install the radeon drivers and the freeze happened again.

At the moment I only have one of my drives formatted (C drive).
Just ran another sfc/scannow and found corrupt files but unable to fix them. Had a look at the logs and these are a few of the issues I can see:

Cannot repair member file [l:27]'MSFT_MpComputerStatus.cdxml' of Windows-Defender-Management-Powershell

Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ is owned twice or has its security set twice
Original owner: Microsoft-Windows-shell32, version 10.0.18362.295, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
New owner: Microsoft-Windows-shell32, version 10.0.18362.295, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

Cannot repair member file [l:27]'MSFT_MpComputerStatus.cdxml' of Windows-Defender-Management-Powershell

Not sure if this is helpful or not but it basically has more powershell related issues and the odd files that doesn't match.

Again any help is really appreciated!

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I apologize, but I'm now going to have to say, "I don't know."

I have never in my life encountered a completely fresh install of Windows 10 have these sorts of errors if the install media was good. The only thing I can suggest is making a fresh copy of the installation media, on a different USB flash drive, and try again.

If you're getting SFC errors straight out of the box something went horribly wrong with the Windows 10 install whether it gave you any error messages to that effect or not.