[SOLVED] Can't select my NVMe ssd in boot order..?

Eric_AP

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
After installing a new videocard my pc suddenly went straight to the bios instead of booting to win10. The bios didn't recognize it anymore, making me suspect I might have damaged it, or the slot, when installing the card...
I then sticked it into the second M2 slot to see if that made a difference: Now it was detected by the BIOS but still not selectable as a drive to be booted from; its just not in the 'uefi hard drive list'.

I installed win10 on a sata ssd also present in my system to see if I could access the M2 disk and what do you know: after installing the second win10, the boot sequence lets me choose between the new win10 and the original win10 (on the 'unbootable' drive)??

Anyone any idea what is going on here? I still can't select the drive to be booted from in the BIOS, but it definately IS bootable and apparently undamaged. Only way I can access my original win10 environment is with a second one installed on another disk. :unsure:
Weird right?

Last edited:

Eric_AP

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
hey thanks for your reply

yeah it is set to Windows boot manager but followed by the sata drive, not the m2 I want it to be set to. I can't change it in the BIOS as far as I can tell. I'll try msconfig now thanks

Eric_AP

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
So I changed msconfig to boot on default, from my C drive (the one I want to boot from). Trying to format the D drive with the second windows on it wasn't possible however because you 'can't format a drive from which you boot'. Makes sense of course, however I just changed that to the C drive and restarted... Also the Bios didn't change; it still lists the D drive as the only bootable drive despite me changing msconfig to C.

So it would seem I cannot format the D drive because that can't be done from Bios as far as I know. Only when booted from another drive you can do that, but that's not possible. I'm at a loss again, any help is much appreciated!

Eric_AP

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
I tried cleaning D from within disk part, that didn't work as I stated above, but now the disk also won't show up anymore in Windows explorer. So it seems that I can't format D, I can't even see it, but windows has to boot from it :unsure:

Eric_AP

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
update: I managed to 'format' D with disk manager, but still cannot clean it with diskpart because of the same reason: the system booted from it.
also it is still not visible in explorer so I cant use it as well

Last edited:

Eric_AP

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
I'm thinking maybe something is wrong with my bootfiles/master boot record on my C drive. Does anyone know if you're able to startup win10 from C, while booted from D, if those files can be missing/corrupt or whatever? Or does a successful startup of win10 mean those files are ok?
thanks again

ps I always thought that starting up windows IS a booting process but apparently that's not the case

Eric_AP

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
this is getting ridiculous: I reinstalled win10 on D, but now win10 on C is not an option anymore on startup, or in msconfig. it just vanished. what the hell. i altered nothing on that disk.
if anyone can help, thanks a lot, im getting realy frustrated here

edit: I just read that I should have unplugged my other disk when reinstalling because now without asking, the win installer just removed the boot directory from my other drive. seriously who writes this stuff at microsoft. now I have to somehow manually create an efi partition on that drive and probably bake some boot files in my oven, turn them over three times, unplug my water boiler, jump two times and then place that crap in my pc and try again.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
this is getting ridiculous: I reinstalled win10 on D, but now win10 on C is not an option anymore on startup, or in msconfig. it just vanished. what the hell. i altered nothing on that disk.
if anyone can help, thanks a lot, im getting realy frustrated here
You don't "install on the D"...you install on a physical drive, and it becomes the C when it boots up.

And when you install, you do it with ONLY one physical drive connected.