[SOLVED] Can't send file from external hard drive to trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rshoshan

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
I have a Mac OS X version 10.9.4. I have a file on an external hard drive that wasn't downloaded fully. When I try moving it to the trash, this message comes up: The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in....can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36). Can anyone provide assistance? Greatly appreciated.

Solution
You say you deleted it. GREAT! But you did not explain how. That .DS_Store is only visible if you change the Mac OS parameters. It is always hidden for a normal Mac OS. Every drive volume and most directories have the .DS_Store file. It is normal. It keeps track of view settings.

For others who get a -36 error, a couple of common possibilities....
– A file or directory has a non-standard name, such as My#%file or My!file.
– The drive's file system has corruption. This could include a corrupt .DS_Store file!

The obvious solutions are...
– Rename oddly named files.
– Use Disk Utility to Repair Disk for that volume AND for the startup volume (such as "Macintosh HD").

A possible work-around, if the two steps above don't solve it...
"fwlun Dec 7, 2011 3:28 PM
in response to Király

Thanks for your suggestion.

I did some research myself while waiting for anyone's feedback because I was desperate to recover my files.

I found it was very strange that if I go into the directory which caused this -36 error, I tried to copy that specific directory or file, I still had the same -36 error. I then deleted that file. Something happening to the directory that this deleted file resided. A hidden file was generated in this directory. The file name is: .DS_Store

I then restore the deleted file. The problem disappeared. So I looked into each directory of this drive which causing the -36. Indeed there was no such hidden file in some of the directories. I either had to delete and put back just any file, the hidden file was automatically created. I then copy the directories over to my target drive.

Everything worked.

So my problem solved but I could not understand why with the .DS_Store hidden file created, it solved the problem. I don't know what this files does that helped to resolve -36 error code. "

Source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3552982?start=0&tstart=0

You might want to look at this - http://fuzzy.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/ioerror-36/ - as well.

accuratecomputer

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
Friend, all drives connected to the computer, use a common recycle bin although the deleted data still resides on the original drive you can also restore the items. On your desktop firstly empty the Recycle Bin and it will automatically remove the deleted data from all drives. Thanks

"Recycle bin". "OS X". Spot the deliberate mistake.

th666

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
You say you deleted it. GREAT! But you did not explain how. That .DS_Store is only visible if you change the Mac OS parameters. It is always hidden for a normal Mac OS. Every drive volume and most directories have the .DS_Store file. It is normal. It keeps track of view settings.

For others who get a -36 error, a couple of common possibilities....
– A file or directory has a non-standard name, such as My#%file or My!file.
– The drive's file system has corruption. This could include a corrupt .DS_Store file!

The obvious solutions are...
– Rename oddly named files.
– Use Disk Utility to Repair Disk for that volume AND for the startup volume (such as "Macintosh HD").

A possible work-around, if the two steps above don't solve it....
Open Terminal (in Applications > Utilities).
Type:
sudo rm -r .trash
Press Return.
Now you see "password:".
Carefully type your password even though you won't see what you type.
Press return.
File > Quit.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.