Question Can't set memory speed to manufacturer specs in the bios of a Rampage iii MB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Firstly, I apologize for creating a thread about a MB model that's a decade old.

I bought a new Rampage iii extreme MB. "Why"?" you may ask. well, I had a damaged MB and a good cpu that I succeeded in overclocking to 4.2 and I didn't want to spend more money. After that, I bought new RAM. Yes, poor set of choices. That was early in the year. Didn't use them, just let them lay around as I got busy.

Now that I want to set up my system, I discovered that I cannot set my MB to get the RAMs XMP... system will refuse to boot. And whenever I try to up the DRAM frequency manually to 1600mhz, again no boot (ram specs freq is 2400) . I set the RAM bus voltage to the maximum specified by Mushkin, and the BIOS already has the latest update. Memtest produced no errors after 10 hours of testing. Could this be anything other than damaged hardware? If so, can someone please help me figure it out?

Thanks

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Oops! I think I figured it out, but I'm not sure. I never thought to check Intel's website for the X5675 memory specs. Now that I did, it lists 800/1066/1333 as the only memory types. Could that be the problem? Shouldn't there be room for overclocking? I mean the CPU itself overclocked just fine. And people use XMPs all the time, which is practically memory overclocking.

What do you think?

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Just an update. I managed to get the RAM speeds very close to those specified by the manufacturer, but not through XMP or by using the RAM multiplier. Both of those caused the system not to post. But I increased the base clock and now everything seems to work. Well... it did, until I disconnected all the wires and now I'm going through another problem.