Question Can't set memory speed to manufacturer specs in the bios of a Rampage iii MB

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Firstly, I apologize for creating a thread about a MB model that's a decade old.

I bought a new Rampage iii extreme MB. "Why"?" you may ask. well, I had a damaged MB and a good cpu that I succeeded in overclocking to 4.2 and I didn't want to spend more money. After that, I bought new RAM. Yes, poor set of choices. That was early in the year. Didn't use them, just let them lay around as I got busy.

Now that I want to set up my system, I discovered that I cannot set my MB to get the RAMs XMP... system will refuse to boot. And whenever I try to up the DRAM frequency manually to 1600mhz, again no boot (ram specs freq is 2400) . I set the RAM bus voltage to the maximum specified by Mushkin, and the BIOS already has the latest update. Memtest produced no errors after 10 hours of testing. Could this be anything other than damaged hardware? If so, can someone please help me figure it out?

Thanks

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015

Yes that is correct. The model number is 992123f. Two modules, 8GB each. They are both the same, but each came separately. Bought them from the same retailer at the same time. I didn't try with single module at a time. Will try that soon. How did you guess? Does my ram model have a common issue with my MB?

Common issue with memory modules purchased as Singles have no guarantee to be compatible together when used in multiples.

Also use of 2400MHz memory on an X58 motherboard seems way out of normal specifications.

Problem is likely just your choice of memory that is unable to run at that speed, 1600MHz, with a combination of modules that have never been tested together.

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. I suggest using a single kit of triple channel memory.
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9-Vengeance-Desktop-Memory/dp/B004CRSM4S

Reactions: ar_0

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Ram modules, that are not from the same kit, may have compatibility issues. Rare, but possible.

Try with single ram module. Try different slots.
If cpu is not inserted properly or cooler too tight or bent cpu pins, some ram slots may not be operable.

I finally managed to get the time I needed to clean my PC and test each module individually. I still can't get it to work. Whenever I change the timings to the ones specified by the manufacturer, things work fine. But when I increase the DRAM frequency above 1333 my system won't boot.

Any clues how to resolve this please?

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
What are exact ram settings, you were trying to use?

Specs of your motherboard list supported ram OC up to 2200mhz (not 2400mhz). But your ram doesn't have XMP entry for 2200mhz.

Try 2200mhz 11-14-14-31 settings and set dram voltage to 1.65V.

I'll try what you suggested in a bit. What I tried earlier was setting the timings to 11-13-13-31 as specified by the manufacturer and setting the frequency to 1666 with auto voltage but it didn't work.

Maybe I should also point out that I faced the same problem with my earlier motherboard (P6X58d Premium - latest update) with a kit of 3x4GB Corsair RAM modules (max freq 2000MHz). In that case, the xmp wouldn't work either. I can't remember if I tried to manually set the frequency and timings. (It was Corsair CMT12GX3M3A2000C9)

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
What are exact ram settings, you were trying to use?

Specs of your motherboard list supported ram OC up to 2200mhz (not 2400mhz). But your ram doesn't have XMP entry for 2200mhz.

Try 2200mhz 11-14-14-31 settings and set dram voltage to 1.65V.
Didn't work. Still can't get it past 1333MHz. Is there a chance the reason is the BIOS version? I tried to set the Extreme OC to enabled but I only see these options: Auto, Mode1 and Mode2. And I have no idea what these modes are. They are not mentioned in the manual.

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Did you set dram voltage?

Yes

And I discovered something else, which might be nothing. When I ordered the motherboard, I ordered a Rampage iii gene. What I got was Rampage iii extreme. It says extreme on the box, the manual and in the BIOS (I might have updated the BIOS myself, I can't remember). So I assumed all this time it was Rampage iii extreme. But 5 minutes ago I noticed a sticker replacing the original bar code that reads "ASUS Rampage III Gene" and it sets the status as "New". Why would a "New" Gene motherboard be inside a box labeled "Extreme"?

How can I know if my board is Gene or Extreme, assuming I updated the BIOS and used Extreme version regardless of the original version?

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
I might also point out that the reason I went back to the box is because I was looking for the MBs revision. It doesn't say what revision the board is on the box. Is there a way I can know the revision?

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Extreme is ATX form factor (6 PCI/PCIE slots), Gene is mATX (4 PCI/PCIE slots).
Also Board model name is written on the motherboard. And there are no different BIOS releases for multiple board revisions.

Thanks for clarifying. So my board is Extreme. Can the problem be the BIOS version? I mean, could the new BIOS update cause the RAM issue I'm having?

I mean, could the new BIOS update cause the RAM issue I'm having?
Possible, but unlikely.
Usually newer BIOS versions improve memory compatibility (not the opposite).

I think you'll just have to experiment more with ram settings until you find best one, that works.
You can see in SPD table - settings, that should work.
1333mhz 9- 9- 9- 24 1.5V​
1600mhz 11-11-11-28 1.5V (try 1.65V if 1.5V doesn't work)​
2200mhz 11-14-14-31 1.65V​

If 1600mhz works, you could try finding appropriate settings for 1866mhz. But do not exceed 1.65V setting.

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Possible, but unlikely.
Usually newer BIOS versions improve memory compatibility (not the opposite).

I think you'll just have to experiment more with ram settings until you find best one, that works.
You can see in SPD table - settings, that should work.
1333mhz 9- 9- 9- 24 1.5V​
1600mhz 11-11-11-28 1.5V (try 1.65V if 1.5V doesn't work)​
2200mhz 11-14-14-31 1.65V​

If 1600mhz works, you could try finding appropriate settings for 1866mhz. But do not exceed 1.65V setting.

What do I do if none of my trials work? What do you think would be the problem?

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
You could verify by using different ram modules. If all of them fail to operate at settings above 1333mhz, then cpu would be the culprit. Deterioration because of OC would certainly explain this.

But your CPU is at least 8 years old. And you used it for only 1 year?
I changed my CPU before I replaced my MB. Yeah, I made a very bad set of choices, like I said in my original post. I used to have i7 920. Then around 2016 I bought a Xeon x5675 because (according to users) it overclocked reasonably well. So yeah, since then my "new" CPU was used for about a year.