Question Can't Set Monitor to 144hz Refresh Rate (Windows 11)

ajburr

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
I feel like this is a stupid question, because it seems like I've run into this problem before and I can't remember how to fix it.

I have an Acer Nitro 27" IPS LED 4K UHD FreeSync Monitor (XV273K) that runs at 144hz. I know this because I've done this in the past. Up until now, however, I had another monitor hooked up (Samsung Odyssey Neo) that ran at 240hz. I'm getting rid of the Samsung monitor and getting another (which isn't important right now), so right now I'm only running on the Acer monitor. While I had the Samsung plugged in, however, the Acer was only able to run at 120hz due to GPU limitations (I have an nVidia RTX 3090 ti).

So right now, I'm just trying to get the Acer back to 144hz. I can get 120, but nothing more. I changed cables (all of which I know are capable of144—DisplayPort, btw), changed ports on the GPU, installed new drivers, restarted and shut down my computer, etc. There is even an option built into the monitor settings that switches 4k-144hz on and off, and it is currently ON. I tried everything I can imagine right now, so here I am.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

ajburr

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
One would think, but Windows only shows up to 119hz and nvidia shows 120. I can go lower but not higher.

EDIT: I just figured it out. I need 2 cables plugged in to get 144hz :p

Last edited: