Question Can't set up port forwarding

Apr 30, 2021
I need to set up a port for some online game, but can't get it to work

1. I didn't not set a static IP for the device, since it seems to always be the same ( 192.168.1.2 )
  2. I have a ZTE ZXHN H208N router, and this is how I tried setting up a port
Did everything as said in these instruction for the router Portforward.com

But that does not work, i don't know what i'm missing. Tried checking if the port is open with a networking tool:

I also tried disabling the firewall and then checking if the port is open, but still didn't work.

Am i missing something obvious? Please help

EDIT: Tried checking for the port with the netstat -ab command and it seems like the port does not exist. Also tried checking for it through the Resource monitor > Network > Listening Ports

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021
A program must be running and listening to a port. It is the program that responds to the scan. Without a program active the port will never do anything because it is not connected to anything.
Well, i tried to run the game and then check but still the same. Also tried disabling firewall while the game was running. Or am i doing something wrong?

There is a lot of misinformation about port forwarding especially on gaming sites.

You only really need a open port when you are HOSTING the game. This means you are acting as a server for other people. The most common one you see is people wanting to host minecraft servers.

Do you actually have some problem with the game. If you are connecting to a remote server you do not need port forwarding.

Apr 30, 2021
There is a lot of misinformation about port forwarding especially on gaming sites.

You only really need a open port when you are HOSTING the game. This means you are acting as a server for other people. The most common one you see is people wanting to host minecraft servers.

Do you actually have some problem with the game. If you are connecting to a remote server you do not need port forwarding.
Now that you say that, i did try a few games and didn't really have problems when connecting to a game . With hosting a game i had problems with players being unable to connect. Yeah, it all makes sense now