Question Can't setup network printer (Canon MG2550S)

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016
I'm trying to setup this new printer so that everyone in the house can use it from their device without having to toss it around and plug it in their PC when they need to use it, but i can't.
I did the first setup on my pc where the printer does all that good stuff that it has to do to work, and then i connected it to my router (MediaAccess TG789vac v2) via usb. I enabled printer sharing in the router's config page and the printers is showing there, saying:
Port: 1-2
Product name: MG2500 series
Producer: Canon
Version: 2.00

Also, it says:

To connect: \\192.168.1.1\ or \\TGMediaAccess TG789vac v2 Share\

I've entered these in the "path" thing when adding a new printer on windows, but it says it's not valid.
The printer is not showing in the "Network" tab nor anywhere else (excecpt when i physically connect the printer to my PC).

I've watched about 50 tutorials on how to set up a printer on Windows (i have W.10), but every single one has failed. I already followed the standard procedure dozens of times, but nothing works.

That does not sound like the correct path to a printer. If you just put in the \\192.168.1.1 address in the Windows Explorer windows (not in printers), see what comes up. You may see the attached printer. Also what happens when you go to Printers and just have Windows do a search for it? You need to go to the router manual to see how to setup the printer, just reading on how to connect a printer may not help, you need to find the correct path to that printer for it to work.

When you setup sharing you should have seen a place where you name the printer. The printer path would be that \\192.168.1.1 address followed by a \printername.

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016
That does not sound like the correct path to a printer. If you just put in the \\192.168.1.1 address in the Windows Explorer windows (not in printers), see what comes up. You may see the attached printer. Also what happens when you go to Printers and just have Windows do a search for it? You need to go to the router manual to see how to setup the printer, just reading on how to connect a printer may not help, you need to find the correct path to that printer for it to work.

When you setup sharing you should have seen a place where you name the printer. The printer path would be that \\192.168.1.1 address followed by a \printername.

I've already tried letting windows do it's thing, and it doesn't find anything in the network. I've followed the official guide for my router but not luck.
What makes my marbles twist at light speed is that as i said the router has no issues recognizing the printer, i've tried turning the printer on and off and the router control panel responds accordingly, but it seems that windows has absolutely no way of seeing the printer. Some guides make use of telnet to set it up but my router does not have Telnet as a feature (unless you do fancy firmware stuff, which i do not know how to do).

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016
Update:
Now i'm 8 times more confused because i hooked the printer up to my pc and shared it with all my network, then, from my laptop connected to the same network, i checked and it's not even showing...i cannot remember the last time i tried doing something with windows that worked first try, jeez.

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016
Alright well i have given up, i've been trying to set this piece of crap for the past 8 hours but litterally nothing gets me closer to what i need.
I've changed settings, windows services, enabled everything that mentioned printer sharing in GPEDIT.MSC, nothing works, i can't even get it to show up in the network while connected to my pc (which is connected via cable), i doubt it's the printer, as it is a brand spanking new. Whatever, i guess we will have to move it around the house like a bunch of cavement everytime we need it. If you guys find ANY solution just throw it at me.

Update:
Now i'm 8 times more confused because i hooked the printer up to my pc and shared it with all my network, then, from my laptop connected to the same network, i checked and it's not even showing...i cannot remember the last time i tried doing something with windows that worked first try, jeez.

You may have a firewall blocking this or some other network configuration on the computers. Are they all part of the same homegroup/workgroup name? Try disabling the Windows Firewall on the computers and make sure the network location is the same for all of them (should be Home).

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016
You may have a firewall blocking this or some other network configuration on the computers. Are they all part of the same homegroup/workgroup name? Try disabling the Windows Firewall on the computers and make sure the network location is the same for all of them (should be Home).
Yep, already tried everything you said multiple times. But now i'm trying to solve another issue, which is that my Desktop cannot communicate with any other device on the network, when i share a folder on my laptop the desktop cannot see it no matter what i do, if i share it on the desktop the laptop can see it but cannot access it (with or without firewall), i've tried repairing corrup system files with sfc /scannow, but no luck, i've tried about every single possible solution on planet earth but there is no sign of life. If you're wondering, no, the printer doesn't show on the laptop either, that would only make sense.

instyne

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2015
I have an Cannon mx922. It has a small screen, there is a menu button. When I hit it all the various functions can be configured. This includes setting up a wireless connection. I have it display all available networks and pick my router, I then enter the password and connect to the router. Windows can then connect the printer. Go to YouTube and put in your printer number, then type, setting up a wireless connection. Someone has done a video about it and you'll see what to do for your printer.

I have an Cannon mx922. It has a small screen, there is a menu button. When I hit it all the various functions can be configured. This includes setting up a wireless connection. I have it display all available networks and pick my router, I then enter the password and connect to the router. Windows can then connect the printer. Go to YouTube and put in your printer number, then type, setting up a wireless connection. Someone has done a video about it and you'll see what to do for your printer.

The printer the OP has does not have any network connection built in, you don't have the same printer model.

instyne

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2015
The printer the OP has does not have any network connection built in, you don't have the same printer model.
Of course it's not the same model, he said it was a Canon Printer, and he said he was trying to set it up wireless, but unless something has changed the printer still has to find the router and be recognized which requires the router password. Once that's done the printer can be seen on the network by the computer. I just had to set mine up again after getting a new router. If this is somehow not now relevant on a wi-fi network, be kind enough to either explain why, or point me to an article that will explain it. I followed setup advice from Canon to hook mine up.

Of course it's not the same model, he said it was a Canon Printer, and he said he was trying to set it up wireless, but unless something has changed the printer still has to find the router and be recognized which requires the router password. Once that's done the printer can be seen on the network by the computer. I just had to set mine up again after getting a new router. If this is somehow not now relevant on a wi-fi network, be kind enough to either explain why, or point me to an article that will explain it. I followed setup advice from Canon to hook mine up.

Nothing about it being wireless, just shared. How do you setup a printer on a wireless connection when the printer has no hardware for wireless? What you did for your printer, that has WiFi capability has nothing to do with this printer which does not. It's like someone asking how they can move a couch with their 2 door compact car and you chime in "well, I moved my couch fine with my full size F250 Ford truck".

The PIXMA MG2500 model does not have WiFi, does not have built in Ethernet port, so nothing saying "just look up how to connect it to WiFi" will help. Just because it's a Canon printer and you have a Canon printer does not mean they are configured the same or have the same capabilities.

Alright well i have given up, i've been trying to set this piece of crap for the past 8 hours but litterally nothing gets me closer to what i need.
I've changed settings, windows services, enabled everything that mentioned printer sharing in GPEDIT.MSC, nothing works, i can't even get it to show up in the network while connected to my pc (which is connected via cable), i doubt it's the printer, as it is a brand spanking new. Whatever, i guess we will have to move it around the house like a bunch of cavement everytime we need it. If you guys find ANY solution just throw it at me.
l
You can always get a network capable printer instead of this USB only one, or get a used USB to network print server like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/NETGEAR-CO...445547?hash=item3b2eb15aeb:g:eaUAAOSwqU9co6QB but those print servers don't always work great with all printers.

If you wanted to share the printer, better to get the correct one for the job than to try to adapt something not suited for the task. In too many routers the printer sharing does not work well, slow or buggy. Network printers are not that expensive now, and if you print more than a few times a week, the hassle of moving the printer around may be worth spending the money on getting another one.

instyne

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2015
Nothing about it being wireless, just shared. How do you setup a printer on a wireless connection when the printer has no hardware for wireless? What you did for your printer, that has WiFi capability has nothing to do with this printer which does not. It's like someone asking how they can move a couch with their 2 door compact car and you chime in "well, I moved my couch fine with my full size F250 Ford truck".

The PIXMA MG2500 model does not have WiFi, does not have built in Ethernet port, so nothing saying "just look up how to connect it to WiFi" will help. Just because it's a Canon printer and you have a Canon printer does not mean they are configured the same or have the same capabilities.
Having reread this entire thread, I see where I was thrown off. You are of course correct. After looking in my computers advanced network sharing, I'm wondering if all options under advanced sharing were enabled or looked at, as several settings left unchecked could prevent the printer being seen. Most likely in the advanced private and public sharing tabs.