Can't share files

I have a wifi with a Win2000 desktop ethernetted to my router and a WinXP
notebook on wireless. I recently brought up my notebook after a disk crash.
Before the crash and shortly after bringup I had good wireless access to
internet and to the files on the desktop.

Suddenly yesterday I lost access to the desktop files. While using Windows
explorer to open My Network Places then Entire Network then Microsoft
Windows Network and then my Workgroup I get this message: "MyWorkgroup is
not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
resource." This is curious since it was working. Perhaps some windows
update caused it to stop working.

In any case I am definitely in the Workgroup. I can verify this by right
clicking My Computer and checking Properties and Computer Name.

Please help.

I should have mentioned that I can ping the desktop from the notebook but
not the other way around.

Jim Slager wrote:
> I have a wifi with a Win2000 desktop ethernetted to my router and a
> WinXP notebook on wireless. I recently brought up my notebook after
> a disk crash. Before the crash and shortly after bringup I had good
> wireless access to internet and to the files on the desktop.
>
> Suddenly yesterday I lost access to the desktop files. While using
> Windows explorer to open My Network Places then Entire Network then
> Microsoft Windows Network and then my Workgroup I get this message:
> "MyWorkgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
> this network resource." This is curious since it was working.
> Perhaps some windows update caused it to stop working.
>
> In any case I am definitely in the Workgroup. I can verify this by
> right clicking My Computer and checking Properties and Computer Name.
>
> Please help.

Can you go one way and not the other? If so, which way does it not work?

Carey

"Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message
>I should have mentioned that I can ping the desktop from the notebook but
> not the other way around.
>
> Jim Slager wrote:
>> I have a wifi with a Win2000 desktop ethernetted to my router and a
>> WinXP notebook on wireless. I recently brought up my notebook after
>> a disk crash. Before the crash and shortly after bringup I had good
>> wireless access to internet and to the files on the desktop.
>>
>> Suddenly yesterday I lost access to the desktop files. While using
>> Windows explorer to open My Network Places then Entire Network then
>> Microsoft Windows Network and then my Workgroup I get this message:
>> "MyWorkgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
>> this network resource." This is curious since it was working.
>> Perhaps some windows update caused it to stop working.
>>
>> In any case I am definitely in the Workgroup. I can verify this by
>> right clicking My Computer and checking Properties and Computer Name.
>>
>> Please help.

I cannot see files in either direction. Here is the story:

On my win2000 desktop I can open My Network Places and go all the way down
to my workgroup and see my desktop's files but can't see the notebook at
all. I can't ping the notebook either.

On my XP Pro SP2 notebook I open My Network Places but cannot open my
workgroup. I can ping the desktop.

Carey Holzman wrote:
> Can you go one way and not the other? If so, which way does it not
> work?
>
> Carey
>
> "Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message
>> I should have mentioned that I can ping the desktop from the
>> notebook but not the other way around.
>>
>> Jim Slager wrote:
>>> I have a wifi with a Win2000 desktop ethernetted to my router and a
>>> WinXP notebook on wireless. I recently brought up my notebook after
>>> a disk crash. Before the crash and shortly after bringup I had good
>>> wireless access to internet and to the files on the desktop.
>>>
>>> Suddenly yesterday I lost access to the desktop files. While using
>>> Windows explorer to open My Network Places then Entire Network then
>>> Microsoft Windows Network and then my Workgroup I get this message:
>>> "MyWorkgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to
>>> use this network resource." This is curious since it was working.
>>> Perhaps some windows update caused it to stop working.
>>>
>>> In any case I am definitely in the Workgroup. I can verify this by
>>> right clicking My Computer and checking Properties and Computer
>>> Name.
>>>
>>> Please help.

Interestingly, if I double click on the wireless icon in the system tray, I
get a window saying choose a wireless network and when I select my own
network it says that it is Not Connected even though I do have internet
access. It says this is a "Security-enabled wireless network. This network
requires a network key. You are currently connected to this network. To
disconnect from this network, click Disconnect below." This is very
confusing since it tells me that it is connected and that it is not
connected.

Jim Slager wrote:
> I cannot see files in either direction. Here is the story:
>
> On my win2000 desktop I can open My Network Places and go all the way
> down to my workgroup and see my desktop's files but can't see the
> notebook at all. I can't ping the notebook either.
>
> On my XP Pro SP2 notebook I open My Network Places but cannot open my
> workgroup. I can ping the desktop.
>
> Carey Holzman wrote:
>> Can you go one way and not the other? If so, which way does it not
>> work?
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> "Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message
>>> I should have mentioned that I can ping the desktop from the
>>> notebook but not the other way around.

On the machine that you cannot ping, what firewall is installed?

>I cannot see files in either direction. Here is the story:
>
> On my win2000 desktop I can open My Network Places and go all the way down
> to my workgroup and see my desktop's files but can't see the notebook at
> all. I can't ping the notebook either.
>
> On my XP Pro SP2 notebook I open My Network Places but cannot open my
> workgroup. I can ping the desktop.
>
> Carey Holzman wrote:
>> Can you go one way and not the other? If so, which way does it not
>> work?
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> "Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message
>>> I should have mentioned that I can ping the desktop from the
>>> notebook but not the other way around.

Good thought, Carey. I have Zone Alarm Pro on both of them. When I turn
off ZA on the notebook then I can see files both ways. The problem was that
I did not have my a network defined for my IP range in the Firewall part of
ZA. Hopefully everything will still work after I reboot both computers.

Thanks for your help, Carey.

Carey Holzman wrote:
> On the machine that you cannot ping, what firewall is installed?
>
> "Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message
>> I cannot see files in either direction. Here is the story:
>>
>> On my win2000 desktop I can open My Network Places and go all the
>> way down to my workgroup and see my desktop's files but can't see
>> the notebook at all. I can't ping the notebook either.
>>
>> On my XP Pro SP2 notebook I open My Network Places but cannot open my
>> workgroup. I can ping the desktop.
>>
>> Carey Holzman wrote:
>>> Can you go one way and not the other? If so, which way does it not
>>> work?
>>>
>>> Carey
>>>
>>> "Jim Slager" <jslager@inameU_NO_WHATcom> wrote in message

You're welcome! Glad to hear you got it sorted out.