Can't share printer between Win 7 systems

nick_atnite

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I'm going nuts trying to share a printer on my new network. Just finished upgrading all computers to Windows 7, Home Premium. My main desktop where the printer is plugged in via USB is running Win 7, 32 bit. Other computers are Win 7, Home Premium and both 64 and 32 bit.

I can see the printer and print just fine on the desktop that it's connected to. I set up a home network (wireless) on the desktop and can join that network with the other computers using the password, however after I join, the printer is not listed.

I have made sure that the printer box is checked under the "sharing options" in the homegroup, and also went to the printer properties and made sure that "share printer" was checked under the sharing tab.

What gives?? Running the install printer wizard on any of the other machines doesn't yield any found printers. I would greatly appreciate any help as the kids and I both use the printer a lot, and will need it working this afternoon. My printer is a HP Deskjet G55, all-in one (I know it's old but it works great). HP doesn't have drivers available for download, just instructions that Win 7 has drivers included.

Thanks,
Jim

nick_atnite

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Fixed my own issue! I had to turn off "password protected sharing" in my homegroup settings. It was on by default. Once I did that, the other compters saw the printer and it was easy from there. Thanks anyway.

G

Try doing the following; this worked for me when Win7 could not find my HP printer connected to the parallel port of my main computer. On your main computer, Go to Control Panel > Devices & Printers. Click the printer icon of your existing printer and select "Customize your printer". In the printer properties box, select the Sharing Tab. Put a check mark in the "Share this printer" box. Finally, go back to the secondary computer and follow the Windows 7 Add Printer procedure. Win7 should now be able to "see" your printer now that sharing has been enabled.

TRENDING THREADS