Can't shut down my own application...

Happy Crayfish

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
So, I'm making a game in C++ using SDL, and I tried debugging the application (this means running the exe file of my game) and my visual basic stopped the debugging and acts like nothing happened, however my game is still open and I can't close it.

Here's what i've tried :

Pressing X button - Fail
Using the bar in the bottom of screen, right clicking application > Close - Fail
Using task manager to kill the process - Fail (nothing happens)
Using the "advanced" task manager to kill process - Access Denied
Using the "advanced" task manager to kill tree - Access Denied

Is there any other way to force quit an application when it's not responding without logging of / shutting down the pc? It gets kinda annoying shutting down my pc every time I debug which can be up to 100 times a day...

Ralston18

Titan
Is the debugger possibly at fault?

When logged on do you as the developer have full access rights to the computer? Maybe your code is doing something that alters your access rights or otherwise makes it appear that you do not have the rights necessary to interrupt/close the game.

Anyway, at this point, probably the only option is to shut down, restart, and open your development tool and step through your code to find the coding error or otherwise identify the culprit. Especially if that code includes things such as having the player login in, storing scores, and so forth to keep individual players separate. Or some code to prevent accidental key presses from interrupting the game. Or a keypress combination that sets up a loop.

Maybe some C++ folks can offer other suggestions.

Happy Crayfish

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015

I have full rights to the pc, and I did fix the error that caused the freeze, though if the game every freezes again I will probably have the same error. I haven't touched the debugger at all, so I don't think that's the problem.