Can't shutdown messenger

Whatever I do: I can't shutdown messenger. It always tells me that there are
still processes which need messenger (like outlook and so on). But I closed
every of these programs. In the end I always have to shutdown the program
through the task manager. I shutdown two tasks: msmsgs.exe and ms-something.
Afther that messenger is down. But, with me old PC also under Windows XP (SP2
installed), I've never encountered such problems. Can anybody tell me, how to
shutdown this program?

Hello. Check this link.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

chhers,
ElTano

Greetings,

Do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a new
"instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause this
behavior. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon in the
System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'), click Options,
then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert