[SOLVED] Can't shutdown or sleep with Nvidia GPU installed (works with AMD)

May 26, 2021
I have a very weird issue that I've never encountered. Long story short - Got a shiny new graphics card (Nvidia RTX 3070), computer won't shut down, restart, or sleep. It hangs at 'shutting down' and 'restarting' screens, and won't wake from a black screen while sleeping (the computer never actually reaches sleep, the keyboard turns off, but the fans & RGB don't ever shut off). I have to manually power down the computer to get it to turn off.

When I use an AMD card, the computer works fine, shuts down, sleeps, and restarts properly.

I've tried another Nvidia card (GTX 1050), same issue. Can't shut down or wake from sleep. So it's definitely an issue with Nvidia hardware or software

When I uninstall the Nvidia driver (using Windows basic display adpater), the computer shuts down properly (no sleep available through windows though). As soon as the driver is installed it is unable to shut down or sleep.

Things I've tried:
  • Completely uninstalling graphics card drivers in safe mode (with DDU, removing AMD and Nvidia)
  • Ran the power troubleshooter
  • Disable fast startup
  • Unplugging all peripherals
  • Updating motherboard bios
  • Playing around with some power & pcie settings in the bios
  • Powercfg /energy offers "Platform Power Management Capabilities:pCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled. PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.". Although I can't figure out what to do to troubleshoot this as I've already removed all hardware possible and the issue persists (not to mention that it is isolated to Nvidia drivers installed).

The Nvidia cards and system run fine otherwise. Games work great. I just can't think of what to try next to solve this power/shutdown/sleep stuff

Any PCIe gpu power gurus out there able to help me out?

Solution
Ohmygosh I think I just solved it! Troubleshooting all day (I'm willing to spend hours trying everything imaginable except reinstalling windows, as usual!) I went through all my drivers to check for updates. Did quite a few, but once I updated my chipset drivers and my Intel RST drivers (I have an Optane accelerated storage drive), I was able to shut down and restart (and sleep!). It's working now as far as I can tell. I still can't explain why the Nvidia cards caused this behavior while AMD cards didn't, but I'm pretty sure it was updating either the Chipset and RST drivers that did the trick. Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

i was wondering if I was the only one. I had this exact issue happen to me I couldn't shut...
May 26, 2021
Ohmygosh I think I just solved it! Troubleshooting all day (I'm willing to spend hours trying everything imaginable except reinstalling windows, as usual!) I went through all my drivers to check for updates. Did quite a few, but once I updated my chipset drivers and my Intel RST drivers (I have an Optane accelerated storage drive), I was able to shut down and restart (and sleep!). It's working now as far as I can tell. I still can't explain why the Nvidia cards caused this behavior while AMD cards didn't, but I'm pretty sure it was updating either the Chipset and RST drivers that did the trick. Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

i was wondering if I was the only one. I had this exact issue happen to me I couldn't shut down my pc with a RTX 2080 installed. when id go to shut it down it would go to a black screen and wouldn't power down, it would actually keep restarting. this would happen in two different PC's with the same card. Now it seems to have fixed itself because I didn't really do anything other than continue to use my PC. anytime I would try to install drivers it would black screen midway through the install and then shut down. i could then power on and the driver would be installed. it was super bizarre because i have multiple cards and this was the only one with weird behavior. after a week or so, all is well and it works as it should in both PC's I can't explain it

Solution