can't start in safe mode even though normal mode works

nmalmnsfi

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
I have been trying to install new nvidia drivers and no matter what i've tried it won't work. thanks nvidia. now i run on vga standard graphics adaptor. I found one solution that required me to go into safe mode and of course now safe mode refuse to work. loading freezes when it reach drivers/CLASSPNP.SYS.
sleep mode doesn't work either but i have a new shutdown option hibernation. and when windows start i get a message saying cant find target.ini asussetup_hotfix.ini
where all of this came from i'm not sure since I've tried so many things to get a working display driver.
I tried to reinstall the chipset driver from the cd that came with the mobo and now i get 3 error messages on startup. thanks asus. mobo is asus p8z77-v lx and win7 64-bit.

edit: I would post more information but i don't know what. I'm really bad at this stuff.

Solution
Hi mate. I would say that the safest thing to do (granted that this is rather brute force) would be to completely restart. Re-install win7 and start from there. Once you install older drivers, it can only be expected that hardware is gonna go nuts and not really like it. I would suggest that if you can't even get into safe mode without bothers, then this would be the way forward. Normally, however, windows update is actually not that bad at sourcing the best drivers for you so if you can get into your os, set windows update on it.

I had one of those mobos, and the reason I don't have it anymore? AI Suite II. A resource hog that will install perfectly fine. It won't do anything you want it to and you CANNOT uninstall it...

mauiozo

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Hi mate. I would say that the safest thing to do (granted that this is rather brute force) would be to completely restart. Re-install win7 and start from there. Once you install older drivers, it can only be expected that hardware is gonna go nuts and not really like it. I would suggest that if you can't even get into safe mode without bothers, then this would be the way forward. Normally, however, windows update is actually not that bad at sourcing the best drivers for you so if you can get into your os, set windows update on it.

I had one of those mobos, and the reason I don't have it anymore? AI Suite II. A resource hog that will install perfectly fine. It won't do anything you want it to and you CANNOT uninstall it; regardless of whether you spend hours searching for answers :) Thank you MSI, no worries so far :D

Solution

nmalmnsfi

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015

I did a clean reinstall of windows and after getting internet up and installing various windows updates everything seem to be working fine now. I didn't want to take this step at first but now I got a clean hdd and fresh new windows. its nice. Thanks!

mauiozo

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Hi mate

I realise this is a VERY old post, but just wanted to thank you for choosing mine as the best answer, and I'm really glad that things worked out for you :) I'm assuming that by now you probably have a brand new motherboard (hopefully from MSI :D ) so best of luck with any future builds :)