Question Can't stop secondary SSD from booting first

Salamandar

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Hello, I have a lenovo legion 5p. I have an SSD already on this computer, that holds the OS (windows 10). I installed another SSD into the empty slot, it worked fine.. but then i formatted it after it said 'it was already in use, do you want to format it still'? i said yes, but then i could see the driver letter disappeared and all that, so i could tell either it didn't format properly or no partitioning was done.
Now, i restarted the laptop and this secondary ssd tries to boot every time. My OS ssd is first on the boot list. I can't access the BIOS or nothing with this second ssd in. Just a black screen. I actually put the second ssd in while the os was booted up and the laptop was on, but it didn't show up anywhere. Yeah that was risky.
Any solution to make the laptop just ignore this ssd until the primary os is booted up first?
thanks!

Salamandar

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
So if you remove the second SSD, you can access the Bios, right?
Hi, yes i can access the bios if i remove the second SSD. I wonder if i just switched the SSD's around so i would trick its stubborness? or is it just that the system scans both ssds no matter what it sees something wrong with one of them.

Hi, yes i can access the bios if i remove the second SSD. I wonder if i just switched the SSD's around so i would trick its stubborness? or is it just that the system scans both ssds no matter what it sees something wrong with one of them.

Are you able to remove the laptop's back panel?

If you can, try to remove the original SSD and use just the second SSD to see if the system sees it properly and make it the first SSD.

Salamandar

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Are you able to remove the laptop's back panel?

If you can, try to remove the original SSD and use just the second SSD to see if the system sees it properly and make it the first SSD.
I tried that but no luck, the screen is still black. Also switched them around, same thing. It just doesn't like this ssd, lol. I know the ssd itself isn't broken, so it's really weird. Not sure what to do to be honest :/

Salamandar

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
I think a boot sequence location is set thru the BIOS
Hi, thanks for replying.

The priority is set to windows boot manager first, that is the primary SSD for the OS. But i have never seen the second SSD in the boot order, because i could never get into the bios, with it in. The computer just rejects this SSD completely. I was thinking of just investing in a USB SSD enclosure and just connect the SSD that way. Thoughts?

TRENDING THREADS