Can't switch USB ports and pc doesn't recognize new usb devices.

Aug 29, 2018
Greetings! I'll try to keep it short & simple. A few years ago I got a new pc. I hooked everything up and all was well. Then, after a few months, this happened: any usb devices (dongle, vga/usb kvm switch, ext HDD, usb3.0 card reader hub) suddenly became locked to the usb ports they were in. What I mean is, if I decided to switch one of the devices to a different port, the computer wouldn't recognize it, and it wouldn't even prompt to install a driver...it just wouldn't do anything. So, lets say, if I were to unplug everything to clean the pc, I'd need to take a photo to remember where all the usb devices were specifically plugged in. To add insult to injury, I couldn't even use new devices like a friend's usb key. I repeat, the pc would only recognize the devices I'd plugged in within those first few months and only when plugged in to the previous ports. So it would be the end of the world if I were to lose my usb key.

I let this go for the time being and worked around it but now it has come back to haunt me because I just got a new Roline 2 port DP kvm switch.....and obviously it won't recognize the usb input for the keyboard&mouse.

I've tried:
- upgrading & downgrading of chipset/usb drivers
- updated bios
- connectors, adapters, cables
- forcing Windows to use a specific driver
- hundreds of threads and forums but no one seems to have this problem
One last thing that might help: Today I noticed that the new kvm switch actually does work while I'm in the dualbios uefi. But as soon as I boot Windows...the device doesn't work.

Just to recap:
- old devices (the ones I plugged in within the first few months) work fine as long as they are plugged into their original ports. If I change the ports, they are not recognized at all.
- new devices are recognized but they won't install because Windows says it can't find a driver.
- the new kvm switch does work within bios, but doesn't in Windows. However, it works fine on the other internet computer running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Something tells me that it's a simple Windows problem...but I simply have no clue where to look or what to do. Thanks in advance! Here are the specs:

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
32,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. H97-HD3 (SOCKET 0)
Graphics
Generic Monitor (2560x1440@59Hz) - BenQ PD2700q
Generic Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)
4095MB NVIDIA Quadro K2200 (NVIDIA)
ForceWare version: 385.69
SLI Disabled
Storage
465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500G SCSI Disk Device (SATA (SSD))
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM 001-1ER164 SCSI Disk Device (SATA )
3726GB Western Digital WDC WD40PURX-64GVNY0 SCSI Disk Device (SATA )
1863GB Seagate ST320005 42AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA )
Optical Drives
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
RME Fireface 400