Can't tell if I am overclocking my CPU or not, I don't really know what to look for

Jun 8, 2018
I use an intel core i7 7700k. It's base clock is 4200 MHz, and I have done nothing to change that. However, I use CAM to monitor my PC and it shows the clock speed at 4500 MHz constantly. I checked the BIOS (Using an MSI Motherboard), and I can't see any signs of it overclocking. The only thing that I can see that might be related is something called Intel Turbo Boost, which is enabled. Anywhere else that it mentions clock speed, it shows the number 4200 MHz. Is CAM wrong, or am I just not looking in the correct places? Does it even matter? I don't really have any problems with the way my CPU is running, it never gets too hot so I don't really want to stop overclocking if it already is, I just want to know if I actually am overclocking or if CAM is measuring incorrectly.

Solution
Your CPU is not being overclocked without your knowledge. Some motherboards do have a slight overclock, just so they can beat other motherboards in benchmarks only, however, the OC is tiny and nothing to worry about.

Your computer is running within specifications. The i7 7700K is an outstanding CPU and will last you many years.
Overclocking takes knowledge and maximum overclocks takes in-depth knowledge.

I use a couple of programs to check CPU speed, on is HWinFO64.

I will not ask what you did to overclock, however, to give proper advice I need the exact motherboard name and model number.

The other side of the equation is, if you are happy with the performance you now have, then do not worry about further overclocking unless temperatures get to high.

Jun 8, 2018
I'll most likely just leave it as it is. I'm fine with the temperatures and the performance. I don't want to do any more overclocking and I don't really care to change where I am now. I just wanted to know if my CPU was being overclocked without my knowledge.

Your CPU is not being overclocked without your knowledge. Some motherboards do have a slight overclock, just so they can beat other motherboards in benchmarks only, however, the OC is tiny and nothing to worry about.

Your computer is running within specifications. The i7 7700K is an outstanding CPU and will last you many years.

Solution
Jun 8, 2018

Ok great, thanks. That's all I needed to know.

TRENDING THREADS