Can't unclock x79 for daily driving

Furious cow

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I can't get an x79board to do energy saving w/ 32GB of RAM. (CPU wont go lower than 4.17 at idle) BSOD if VCCSA is lower than 1.25 and VTTCPU is less than 1.1. Fairly certain I have something set wrong. If I try balanced, normal...etc. BSOD. Sure I want the clock to get up there when I need it too......but would also like to see lower temps every once in a while....when daily driving. It won't let me clock anything down...again, have never had this problem, so I must be doing something wrong.

Sabertooth x79
i7 3930k
32GB G. Skill 2133

alex2000robert

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I think you set something wrong. Energy saving with 4.17 at idle? Are you kidding me? It's normal for you to have BSOD, otherwise you might be getting even 5 GHz (OMG) I really don't think you get up the clock AT ALL. Check your BIOS settings and lower them down.

Furious cow

Honorable
May 15, 2012

THat's the problem.....if I lower the settings.... BSOD. I didn't do anything with the Vcore or any of that. I just hit the ram voltage, and the controller because It was (I think) starving the RAM. WHen I move those voltages up no BSOD...but also, no energy savings....clock stays 4.17 up to 4.3....saw it hit 4.4 once....totally unintentional.

Gphish

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
I have the x79 sabertooth with 32Gb of ram too!!! so I can help in Bios you need to go into advance setup and you need to go to the AI tweaker. Now you need to set the AI overclock tuner to manual or XMP mode ( i suggest XMP mode if your memory supports it) then goto Turbo Ratio and select by all cores (can adjust in OS) there you go!!!! now when you go into windows use CPUZ and you will see if your at idle your cpu will clock down to around 2.4 or lower to test then start opening application or internet exployer and open as many windows as you can and as fast as you can then you will see cpu clock changing. Do this and report back.