[SOLVED] Can't undervolt i5 7300hq

Solution
Can you show me how to undervolt and/or decrease cpu temperature on MSI PL62 7RC?
If your CPU is locked and the BIOS does not have an option to unlock it then no, you cannot undervolt your CPU.

Have you cleaned your computer yet? What is the problem? Whether the CPU is at 70°C or 80°C or 90°C does not make any difference. These are all safe operating temperatures according to Intel.
greyed out
Intel released a microcode update in December 2019 to fix the Plundervolt exploit. When this is installed, it locks out CPU voltage control and it also locks out turbo ratio adjustments.

If you can install an older BIOS version, you might be able to unlock these features. Once these things are locked by the BIOS, there is nothing that ThrottleStop can do to unlock your CPU.

Jan 13, 2021
Intel released a microcode update in December 2019 to fix the Plundervolt exploit. When this is installed, it locks out CPU voltage control and it also locks out turbo ratio adjustments.

If you can install an older BIOS version, you might be able to unlock these features. Once these things are locked by the BIOS, there is nothing that ThrottleStop can do to unlock your CPU.
Can i downgrade without installing an older BIOS version?
Edit: Laptop model is MSI PL62 7RC. With 256gb ssd.

Last edited:
older BIOS version
I do not know when CPU voltage control became locked. For most laptops, this happened with a BIOS update anytime during the last 18 months. The only way around this issue is to install an older BIOS version. Once you find a version that works, do not install a BIOS update.

Installing older BIOS versions is not without risk. If you do not feel comfortable doing this then do not do it.

Have you disassembled your laptop and cleaned it? The 7300HQ should be able to run at its full rated speed without overheating or throttling. The only reason to undervolt is if you are not getting maximum performance out of your CPU. Intel's mobile CPUs can run reliably up to 100°C. Post some screenshots if you actually have a performance problem.

Jan 13, 2021
I do not know when CPU voltage control became locked. For most laptops, this happened with a BIOS update anytime during the last 18 months. The only way around this issue is to install an older BIOS version. Once you find a version that works, do not install a BIOS update.

Installing older BIOS versions is not without risk. If you do not feel comfortable doing this then do not do it.

Have you disassembled your laptop and cleaned it? The 7300HQ should be able to run at its full rated speed without overheating or throttling. The only reason to undervolt is if you are not getting maximum performance out of your CPU. Intel's mobile CPUs can run reliably up to 100°C. Post some screenshots if you actually have a performance problem.
I have heard that you can enable undervolting in the BIOS in MSI laptops and then undervolt using Throttlestop. How do you do it?

Can you show me how to undervolt and/or decrease cpu temperature on MSI PL62 7RC?
If your CPU is locked and the BIOS does not have an option to unlock it then no, you cannot undervolt your CPU.

Have you cleaned your computer yet? What is the problem? Whether the CPU is at 70°C or 80°C or 90°C does not make any difference. These are all safe operating temperatures according to Intel.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS