Question Can't uninstall programs!

hardhead11

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
I recently upgraded a PC from Win7 to Win10. When I try to uninstall unwanted programs, I get the error: windows cannot access the specified device path or file you may not have appropriate permissions.

If I manually navigate to the uninstaller, if there is one, it will work. I'm logged in as 'Administrator' which is a Domain Admin.

The object in question (msiexec.exe) is owned by trustedinstaller, but local\admin and domain\admin have read/write - execute permissions.

I can navigate to msiexec.exe and run it, but can't uninstall programs that do not have an uninstaller.exe in their installation path.

The issue only seems to happen when using "Add or remove programs"

This might happen if the program you're trying to uninstall was installed with custom installation path, which was later changed. It might also happen if the .MSI file you used to install it was located on eg removable drive no longer present.

In cases like this, although I know it creates (little) mess, I delete manually the program' application and data folders, and delete all registry entries associated with that application. Sure, it might leave some DLLs still registered and present.

hardhead11

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
I figured it out.. Was trying to uninstall from "Settings\apps and features." Kept getting the same error.

The programs needed to be uninstalled from Control Panel\programs\programs and features.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I figured it out.. Was trying to uninstall from "Settings\apps and features." Kept getting the same error.

The programs needed to be uninstalled from Control Panel\programs\programs and features.

I guess that makes sense as the new way didn't exist when program was written. Its just as well win 10 has to keep some control panel menus around for backwards compatibility and cases like that. Or a clean install or new user would be only answer.

hardhead11

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
I just find it bizarre that Windows would post up that particular error, sending me on a witch hunt. Clearly, nothing in the message was true: "Windows cannot access the specified device path or file you may not have appropriate permissions. "

Windows could access the file, the path was correct, and I had appropriate permissions.

D

Deleted member 14196

if it's not from microsoft store, it's a Program else it's just an App

One should always use the appropriate uninstall method.

hardhead11

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
I agree.

However, perhaps they shouldn't list programs in their apps & features list, and give an "Uninstall" option, then give an incorrect error message. Would make sense if the message said "Please use "Programs and features" to uninstall this object."

I uninstalled CPU-Z, CoreTemp, HW Monitor, Macrium, all straight from the apps and features menu. Definitely didn't get those from the Microsoft Store. So either way, it's inconsistent and frustrating.