Can't uninstall realtek audio drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

abigsmurf

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007
When installing the audio drivers for my hdd, the installer messed up and as a result installed bad drivers. The sound card won't work and the device is listed as not working in the device manager. However I can't uninstall the driver (it just says "Windows may need this to boot" and I can't update the drivers. Same thing happens in safe mode and using driver cleaner removes the drivers but doesn't remove it from the device manager.

LittlBUGer

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I'm getting the exact same thing after trying to install the 64-bit drivers on my XP Pro x64. It's all in the Device Manager. Wont let me uninstall or update drivers. I can only disable it, but that doesn't fix the problem obviously. Any ideas? Thanks.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Have never dealt with 64 bit drivers. Did you check your BIOS and/or audio card firmware or software settings for 64 bit?

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
I ran into a similar problem with my XP boot and MSI P35 Plat motherboard.

Go to your motherboard's downloads (don't use the drivers on Realtek's sites. At least they didn't work for me) and get the latest drivers. MSI had some dated Nov 19th. Save then on your OS drive in their own folder and decompress the file you downloaded. That way you'll be able to run the setup.exe or "find" the specific driver files.

Go into the BIOS and disable the built-in audio. Boot into Safe Mode and go to add/remove and uninstall the Realtek software. Reboot back into safe mode. Go into device manager, on the menu select View/Show Hidden Devices and delete any of the audio/multimedia devices.

Reboot back to safe mode. Make sure those devices aren't listed. Now, reboot back to the bios and enable the built-in audio. Boot to windows normal and cancel the hardware wizard. Make sure you have speakers connected.

Go to the folder you created and run the setup. Follow the wizard. Reboot when finished installing.

Everything should now work ok.

Neotic

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
The Reason this happens is when you install the drive there is a windows hotfix that installs in the background I have found on the faster PC if you click Next too early the drive instals before the hot fix. Causeing it to not work

Most Time I have use system restore to correct the problem when its just occurred.

I an working on a pc now thats had the problem for long when I have a solution I will post it

tomy300

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I have a realtek HD audio and if I disable it in the bios I don't see any audio device in the windows device manager and I think it's normal... but if I activate it in the bios.... I see the driver in windows but it won't uninstall it in the device manager , I have tried the most recent realtek driver WDM_R200.exe and it don't work.... even if I boot in safemode it won't let me uninstall it, but if I desactivate it in the bios I just can't see the audio driver in windows device manager....

maybe the last solution is to delete manualy the file drivers but I don't know what to delete..... I have pass many hours to find out how to make my soundcard working .... what a waste of time and I have a bad mood now... I think I will re-install windows again...... it's what append when you bought all in one mobo ... you don't pay much but it's all junk.

Michelin

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I know this is an old thread but I will leave this info here for anyone who has a future problem:

All driver and device info is stored in the registry so if you delete it from there you will not see it in the device manager and it will detect the device afresh on the next restart, allowing you to install the correct or updated drivers.
Go to the Start Menu and click on run
Type "regedit" and click OK
Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Expand SYSTEM, Expand CONTROLSET001
Expand ENUM
In here you should see a folder related to your device EG. HDAUDIO
You will not be allowed to delete this yet. Right click on the folder to bring up a list and go to 'Permissions'. You are classified apart of group 'Everyone' you will have to tick the box under 'allow' giving yourself 'Full Control' click OK

Before you do anything more you should backup what you are about to delete. Right Click on the folder again and go to export and save it somewhere you will remember like in your 'My Documents' folder if anything goes wrong all you need to do to restore the folder is double click on the file.

You can now delete the related Folder then restart the computer if you find the device is still in the device manager then you deleted the wrong folder. Restore your backup and try a different folder.

ekompute

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Hi Michelin, thank you very very much for your post. You have got the best answer in the internet to my problem. Not only are your instructions simple to follow, your method is very very simple and very efficient. I have been visiting the various forums, going in circles since yesterday, downloading this and that, deleting this and that, but nothing works. What a wonderful surprise when I hear the first sound from my computer after following your method which didn't take me even 3 minutes.

mdjagg

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I have an Intel dq35jo motherboard with hd audio bus. Driver would not install, bad file message at time of install. I used Michelin's post for the beginning of the process, but he left out the final, "get you computer with audio" and working hd audio device in the the device manager step.

The initial steps:
Create a folder on your desktop caledl "backup" or anything you want
Expand ENUM
In here you should see a folder HDAUDIO
Highlight by clicking on
Go to File Export and save file to the folder you created on the desktop
Delete the folder in the regedit
resstart
Message will appear on start up that you have a missing driver.
Ignore this message and Install the driver that didn't work originally, this worked after me.

Another thing to mention is that most motherboards that has a hdAudio link also has the old ac97 connection which is to be used if you still have further problems. Simply open your case, pull out the hdAudio and replace with the other cord labeled ac97

G

I restored to an earlier date before I added a new driver but that didnt make any changes, HOWEVER...restore to an earlier date but while in SAFE MODE worked! whats the difference???
Why did it work from safe mode but not from normal???

dsmr

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Michelin

I know this is an old thread but I will leave this info here for anyone who has a future problem:

All driver and device info is stored in the registry so if you delete it from there you will not see it in the device manager and it will detect the device afresh on the next restart, allowing you to install the correct or updated drivers.
Expand ENUM
In here you should see a folder related to your device EG. HDAUDIO
You will not be allowed to delete this yet. Right click on the folder to bring up a list and go to 'Permissions'. You are classified apart of group 'Everyone' you will have to tick the box under 'allow' giving yourself 'Full Control' click OK

Before you do anything more you should backup what you are about to delete. Right Click on the folder again and go to export and save it somewhere you will remember like in your 'My Documents' folder if anything goes wrong all you need to do to restore the folder is double click on the file.

You can now delete the related Folder then restart the computer if you find the device is still in the device manager then you deleted the wrong folder. Restore your backup and try a different folder.

This is the best solution :) I agree with ekompute

My Sound Card installed Correctly actually (after Windows reinstallation) but I couldn't play/hear a single sound from my PC! just like it said above, after deleting the registery folder and restarting .. problem solved and everything is perfect now :wahoo:
Thanks alot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS