can't uninstall xbox 360 controller drivers

yoloswagginz

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
I installed the wireless driver for xbox 360 controller http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-wireless-controller-for-windows then i decided to go buy a wired controller since mine was old and dirty. so when i tried to install the driver for the wired controller it said i already had it installed so found the file in program files and deleted it there and deleted the short cuts. Now when i try to install the correct wired driver it doesn't install and says i already have it installed and need to uninstall it. Any ideas on how to remove the remaining files?

Damon Webb

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
i found this answer on an other forum:

In Device Manager
View -> Show Hidden Devices
Somewhere in the list will be your XBOX controller, a very light grey most likely. Remove it.

Juggernaut68

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
If you use the above method and the Xbox controller driver is still not showing up even with "Show Hidden Files" selected, there is a way to force the Device Manager to show them. Copy/Paste from another forum:

Start -> Run

cmd.exe

Run the following commands, Enter/Return after each one (you'll need to be logged into an account with appropriate permissions):

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
cd %SystemRoot%\System32
start devmgmt.msc

Device Manager will start.

View -> Show Hidden Devices

Somewhere in the list will be your XBOX controller, a very light grey most likely. Remove it.

You should now see the Xbox controller in a light-grey text.