Question Can't update CPU. StoreMI Installation fail.

Sep 2, 2022
AMD StoreMI keeps failing installation. Can't update my drivers. Error Code: 65536

Anyway around this? Manual Install?

AMD StoreMI keeps failing installation. Can't update my drivers. Error Code: 65536

Anyway around this? Manual Install?
Some solutions I've seen, and this assumes you have the necessary AMD hardware - Ryzen processor, motherboard of course.

Completely uninstall and clean-up AMD chipset and GPU (if you have one) drivers. Use the AMD cleanup utility and DDU to be sure, then reinstall with the latest. Do the same even if you have an Nvidia GPU but ever had an AMD GPU in the past.

Another was to remove all drives EXCEPT the SSD and HDD that will be used for the StoreMi volume. Once installed and set up re-attach the other drives.

I used StoreMi for a while; it was OK but not nearly as good as you might think for games. When playing a game it was like hitting a brick wall whenever the game didn't find needed data on the SSD. Games are huge these days meaning a small SSD isn't likely to hold data for long if you've several you like to play so it too frequently hit that brick wall. Considering how cheap SATA SSD's are it's really not that much of a benefit IMO.

And then uninstalling was a pain. I tried using their process and still couldn't get the system back the way it was so I had to flatten the system and re-install everything from scratch.

Absolutely keep frequent backups of user data kept on any of the StoreMI volume drives. If any drive fails, it's all gone.

Last edited: