Jan 8, 2020
So, I recently bought a used RX 470 that is unable to update its drivers since it'd then report an error 43.

The guy who sold it to me told me he bought 5 of these and none of the would ever update, so I thought it might be a BIOS thingy. It is, however, a problem apparently, since I can't tear the card down without thermal paste (witch I don't have, btw)

So, is there any way I can check whether the BIOS has been modified or not without dissembling it?

Btw, it is a VisionTek 4GB OC version of the RX 470. I tried looking up on some VGA BIOS archives but found no official BIOS for this sucker.

So far, only thing that has bothered me is the low performance on Minecraft and some graphics bug on a 2005 game (Brother in Arms)

Apparently this BIOS has been modded for lowering power consumption, since the card has never reported values over 90w even when its total power draw is 120w (not even on furmark)

PD: I doesn't seem to be a scam card since everything works fine and it even offers the labbeled performance if I adjust the power limit.

Solution
For anyone with the issue: It seems BIOS had been modded and re-modded back to normal without AMD signature. I simply used the driver signature checker with the patch tool and can update drivers without an issue.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It might not be a BIOS thing at all, rather that the cards were used for mining and they ended up being dead.

You will also need to add specs list to your system, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the age of your PSU and the GPU you used prior to the upgrade. You also generically stated the GPU with an RX480, what is the make and model of the GPU? Latest BIOS for your motherboard?

Jan 8, 2020
I've got Widnows 10 1803, which I know is outdated and I would consider that the problem had not I tried downloading drivers for this version without success.

Mobo: Asrock z75 Pro 3 (BIOS 2.10)
CPU: i5-3570k
PSU: 550w Bronze MBP-550-HS
HDD: Western DIgital Blue 500 GB + Maxtor 250 Gb + WD Blue 320 GB
GPU Before: None, so I discard Nvidia-AMD issues
The PSU is around 4 years old, indeed
Chassis: Who knows, It was lying around and I built my PC with it.
Ram: 2x4 DDR3 1600 MHz

And, as I said, it is a VisionTek RX470 4GB OC.

I don't know if you read the post, but I said that the previous owner had the same issue, so I don't think the problem relies on my system. Just to make sure, I downloaded latest W7 drivers and booted W7 with the same result, error 43.

Hope you can help :D

Jan 8, 2020
For anyone with the issue: It seems BIOS had been modded and re-modded back to normal without AMD signature. I simply used the driver signature checker with the patch tool and can update drivers without an issue.

Solution