[SOLVED] Can't update to Catalina because of lack of space

Alex_482

Honorable
Jul 27, 2017
I am trying to update a work computer to Catalina from High Sierra. However, the the system is telling me I still need 1.5 GB of space out of 30GB and I have cleared everything except for 500 MB of applications (470 MB of which is Chrome) and 18 GB of system files. My trash is cleared, temp files gone, everything. I'm at a loss of what I can do to update at this point. How are 30GB macbook pros even supposed to update if Catalina is going to take 12 GB of free space and the previous OS 18?

Solution
Was the drive replaced or is it partitioned? 30GB is an awfully small drive for any Catalina compatible Mac. I think 64GB is the smallest drive on any compatible Mac. Excepting the SSD on some Fusion drives if decoupled from the HDD. But that SSD was never meant to be used by itself.
Was the drive replaced or is it partitioned? 30GB is an awfully small drive for any Catalina compatible Mac. I think 64GB is the smallest drive on any compatible Mac. Excepting the SSD on some Fusion drives if decoupled from the HDD. But that SSD was never meant to be used by itself.

Solution