cant update to windows 8.1

Thomvh

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
hi guys,

i found out that i cant update my notebook to windows 8.1. when the update was launched there werent any drivers for my pc so i didnt install the update. after a couple days my pc started to reboot and automatically tried to install the update. because i didnt want this to happen i somehow blocked the update in my pc. now with the upcoming windows 10 update i do want to update it to 8.1 but now i cant. the windows store tells me that the update is blocked by the administrator and when i try to manually install the update it says that the update is not valid for my computer. i already have undone all the adjustments that i made in the past. does any of you guys have any idea how to solve this?

greetings Thom
sorry for the bad english sometimes

Reyaz123

Admirable
You can do a google search for your pc model (example hp170 drivers) and the official site should include the drivers for windows 8.1. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, hope it helps.

If you want to revert back to your older version of windows, use a system restore back in time to when you had that OS.
Then you can try updating it to windows 8.1

Thomvh

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015

thank you for your answer. i already have undone those setting but i cant open the group policy editor. i dont know if was able to open it in the past. if so, maybe the answer is in the gp editor.

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
gpedit is only available in professional & enterprise versions of Windows, so maybe this is why you can't access it.

Something quick to try is creating a new user account (make it an admin) then try installing the update from there.

Thomvh

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
doesnt work either. im really starting to ask myself what i did back then. i already double checked the internet for ways to to block the update and checked if the are undone but havent found something yet.
thanks for the answer though.