Question Can't Upgrade Custom Build PC to Windows 10 1903

The_Man12

Honorable
Mar 22, 2014
Hello,

This morning I tried upgrading my PC from Windows 10 1803 to Windows 10 1903 using the Windows 10 Update Assistant and it is coming up with an error saying "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC has a driver or service that isn't ready for this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once this issue has been resolved." I am at an impasse right now since this thing won't point anywhere as to which driver in specific is the one that is causing problems. Any ideas?

Rig specs:
Mobo: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8370 (light OC from 4.0 Ghz to 4.3 Ghz)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB
SSD: 180GB Intel SSD (can't remember exact model)
HDD: 2TB WD Black
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280X

bwallx

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
I assume your chipset and graphics drivers and so on are the latest? Sorry to ask the obvious. I have a similar problem but don't get a helpful error just a green screen with an error that is different every time! I tried stripping the rig down to the basics, removed as many drivers as possible, unplugged every USB except kbd/mouse. Nada!!

Colif

Win 11 Master
At what stage of update is error showing?

Before it updates, like at the stage where it checks PC hardware or later on?

This page shows all the log files created during the upgrade process, its possible one of them may exist and we might be able to identify the driver thats stopping update

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...d-when-you-upgrade-to-a-new-version-of-window

its possible what it means by upgrade is actually not a version update and actually the initial process of converting 7 or 8 to 10. This list seems to be same so it might include version updates - https://www.ghacks.net/2018/02/06/windows-10-upgrade-log-files-list/

The_Man12

Honorable
Mar 22, 2014
Nevermind guys I got frustrated and just decided to reinstall Windows altogether. Clean install went without a problem and computer is working perfectly fine. I really wonder what it was that was causing problems...

Nonetheless, thank you!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Fresh install one way to force it to find whatever driver it was that was missing. I generally try to avoid suggesting it without trying to fix it another way first, as not everyone wants to start again. It is funny though as recently, It seems most who I have tried to help avoid a reinstall have bit the bullet and done one anyway.