rookiesharma114

Commendable
Mar 2, 2018
woozypictures.com
---SPECIFICATION (As Detailed As I Can Possibly Go)---

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600x (NEW CPU: Ryzen 5 3600)
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO
Thermal Paste: Hyper 212 MasterGel
GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 2070 OC 8GB
Mobo: ASROCK AB350 Pro 4 (Was on BIOS 5.80 now on latest 6.30)
Ram: 4x8GB Kingston HyperXFury DDR4 Black
PSU: Corsair VS650
Case: CiT Raider
SSD (In Thread): Samsung EVO 850 256gb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi there everyone,

Had to make a first time post ever here since i have pretty much exercised all options that I can think of. I purchased a 'Ryzen 5 3600' to upgrade my 'Ryzen 5 1600x' and stupidly flashed my BIOS when receiving it today so now I cant go back to the old one and use my old 1600x (Without fear of bricking the board).

I plugged the new cpu in, put everything back together, plugged in ONLY the new 256gb ssd to install a fresh copy of windows, and this machine WILL. NOT. STAY. ON. It hangs, random crashes, freezes, temps are weird? 48ish on idle (does that sound normal)?

Whats weird is that with only 2 sticks of ram in (Slots 1 and 3) the machine seems fine. As soon as i put back in the other 2 it comes up with the windows BSOD (random names every single time)

In the BIOS, the XMP profile is set to the RAMs native speed of 2666MHz. The voltage is Auto (1.2V) and I havent touched anything else. Its like this chip wont work without randomly crashing or hanging or freezing and i keep having to reinstall windows fresh every 20mins (Thank god its an SSD xD).

Any help? Anywhere Im going wrong, I have seen countless others with the same cpu/mobo combo as me and theyre running perfectly fine (Some even run Ryzen 9 series on my mobo!)

Thank You All!

EDIT #1: Hope this is useful information, i keep getting 0xc0000f and various other errors repeating.

Last edited:
Solution
So yeah i guess its stuck at 2133 until i change the mobo :/
Those are merely AMD's officially supported specs for first-gen CPUs that first-gen motherboards were designed for. Plenty of people run first-gen motherboards at much higher speeds than 2133 (2666-2800 was common back then) using either XMP or manual settings, especially on 2nd-gen and newer CPUs which have significantly improved memory controllers.

If you aren't comfortable with manual tweaking then yes, you may be stuck at 2133.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
"Whats weird is that with only 2 sticks of ram in (Slots 1 and 3) the machine seems fine. As soon as i put back in the other 2 it comes up with the windows BSOD (random names every single time)"

did the RAM come is a pack together, 4 sticks matched from the factory?

welcome to the forums

Last edited:
Reactions: rookiesharma114

rookiesharma114

Commendable
Mar 2, 2018
woozypictures.com
"Whats weird is that with only 2 sticks of ram in (Slots 1 and 3) the machine seems fine. As soon as i put back in the other 2 it comes up with the windows BSOD (random names every single time)"

did the RAM come is a pack together, 4 sticks matched from the factory?

welcome to the forums

I purchased 2 sets of "Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB" to give me 4 sticks of the 8gb modules. Theyve been in this motherboard for almost 1.5years with no faults until i installed the new CPU today :/ I even took the 2 8gb Adata Ram sticks from my dads brand new build that we did today same error. I put the ram sticks back in his machine and now hes getting the same BSOD error as me :(

rookiesharma114

Commendable
Mar 2, 2018
woozypictures.com
before today the memory controller that was working was in the 1600x, you changed the CPU and you changed the memory controller too.
mixing RAM modules is always a gamble, even the same model and make.
when you run with half the RAM is the system stable?

Based on what ive seen on support lists and ram compatibility, it should (in theory) be fine since its supported but yeah its just dodgy :/ Yep so with 2 ram sticks in it seems to be perfectly fine, but as soon as I add the other 2 back in it throws me EFI errors, BCD errors the whole lot.

Tried taking all ram out, swapping slots and sticks around tried 2/4 only ,1/3 only, 1 stick on, all 4 sticks. Seems that any more than 2 and kaput.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Memory may not always run at its rated speed. In some systems/configs, you have to lower the memory speed for increased stability. I had a previous Ryzen X370 chipset based system that just would not run at 3200. Dropping to 3000 made it rock solid.

What is the full, exact model number of your memory? Do you have all 4 DIMMs installed now?

sfc scan came corrupt
did dism restore successful
sfc scan came clean

lowered ram to 2133, seems to be stable, reliably booting and working (done 10 restarts and 10 hard restarts)
Im confused since this CPU says up to 3200MHz?

Given an actual quad stick 3200 MHz RAM kit, that might be true....; with a pair of 16 GB kits not certified to work together...well, you've seen the results...

rookiesharma114

Commendable
Mar 2, 2018
woozypictures.com
Memory may not always run at its rated speed. In some systems/configs, you have to lower the memory speed for increased stability. I had a previous Ryzen X370 chipset based system that just would not run at 3200. Dropping to 3000 made it rock solid.

What is the full, exact model number of your memory? Do you have all 4 DIMMs installed now?

Ram Name: Kingston Hyper Fury
Ram Part Number: KHX2666C16/8G
As we currently speak all 4 slots are filled with the same ram. Ive just checked the motherboard manual to find this image

rookiesharma114

Commendable
Mar 2, 2018
woozypictures.com
You may be able to increase the RAM clock by tweaking timings, voltages and other memory controller parameters. That's the downside of throwing random DIMMs together.

As we currently speak all 4 slots are filled with the same ram. Ive just checked the motherboard manual to find this image

rookiesharma114

Commendable
Mar 2, 2018
woozypictures.com

Given an actual quad stick 3200 MHz RAM kit, that might be true....; with a pair of 16 GB kits not certified to work together...well, you've seen the results...

InvalidError

Titan
Those are merely AMD's officially supported specs for first-gen CPUs that first-gen motherboards were designed for. Plenty of people run first-gen motherboards at much higher speeds than 2133 (2666-2800 was common back then) using either XMP or manual settings, especially on 2nd-gen and newer CPUs which have significantly improved memory controllers.

If you aren't comfortable with manual tweaking then yes, you may be stuck at 2133.

Solution

rookiesharma114

Commendable
Mar 2, 2018
woozypictures.com

Ive managed to succesfully run the ram at 2666MHz at 1.31v stable and stress tested 4 times :D BIOS remains at latest version! XMP remains on as well.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You may or may not run into further issues, all bios related, so keep an eye on it. The bios chip itself is only so big and can contain only so much info, and thats the issue. You have 'X' amount of actual info, 'Y' amount of bug fixes and 'Z' amount of installation instructions. All of which adds upto a larger amount than the chip has room for. So ASR, like many others, has split bios updates into several necessary steps, you update to 1.41, then update the media package, then update to 1.47, update media package, then update to 1.50 and 2nd Gen users stop there, 3rd gen users update again to 1.60. For example.

It's why you'll brick the bios trying to go backwards, you'll only overwrite certain info, certain version numbers, certain fixes, and not the rest as there's no installation instructions to remove that info first.

If you skipped any steps (and the update procedure specifically explains the steps necessary and the order to do them) what you end up with is mostly a 1st gen bios, with a couple of 2nd gen fixes, and a 3rd gen identification, which can cause incompatibility issues, especially with ram.

rookiesharma114

Commendable
Mar 2, 2018
woozypictures.com
You may or may not run into further issues, all bios related, so keep an eye on it. The bios chip itself is only so big and can contain only so much info, and thats the issue. You have 'X' amount of actual info, 'Y' amount of bug fixes and 'Z' amount of installation instructions. All of which adds upto a larger amount than the chip has room for. So ASR, like many others, has split bios updates into several necessary steps, you update to 1.41, then update the media package, then update to 1.47, update media package, then update to 1.50 and 2nd Gen users stop there, 3rd gen users update again to 1.60. For example.

It's why you'll brick the bios trying to go backwards, you'll only overwrite certain info, certain version numbers, certain fixes, and not the rest as there's no installation instructions to remove that info first.

If you skipped any steps (and the update procedure specifically explains the steps necessary and the order to do them) what you end up with is mostly a 1st gen bios, with a couple of 2nd gen fixes, and a 3rd gen identification, which can cause incompatibility issues, especially with ram.

Definitely right tbh, I made that mistake of jumping but somehow with sheer luck i was able to go back to the version i WAS on, and go back up to the NEWEST bios step by step and so far its been ace 100%. Thanks again for the help however :D

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Phew lol. Good. With Intels you can just get the newest, the core of the bios info doesn't really change much as the generation is the same. It's mostly minor bug fixes and a few additional lines containing new gen cpu tags. Ryzens are different in that there's several generations, massive ram fixes, agesa, and other stuff not limited to just the added few 3rd gen tags. Gets really crowded fast. The fact you got to step your bios updates correctly probably saved you a ton of frustration later.