ikarihiokami

Honorable
Sep 25, 2014
I can't seem to get registered with the ASUS forums, so hopefully someone here can help me figure out what is going on.

I just bought a new AUSUS TUF laptop. I wanted to install a larger NVMe SSD, so I got one, plus a new copy of windows pro. When I installed windows, it says my copy of windows was already activated. The laptop came with home. I assumed that somehow the computer knew it had a registered license for it. When I go to enter the key for windows 10 pro, it says I can't used the key.

I've bought many ASUS laptops before and never had this much trouble before.

Solution
It was from Amazon itself. I have Prime, so I always try to get it directly from Amazon. I contacted microsoft and they said the code meant the servers were busy (0xc004f050) and to try again later. It's been awhile now and it still doesn't work.
OK
Server busy happens sometimes.

But, applying a valid Pro license to a Home install should just automatically boost it to Pro. Activation verification may happen later.

USAFRet

Titan
Bought on Amazon. Shrink wrapped and came with the USB stick and card with the keycode.
Reinstalling the Win 10 Home, on a new drive (the NVMe) will result in automatic activation.
The laptop is the same.

Applying the Win 10 Pro license SHOULD simply upgrade that Home install to Pro.

Was this actual Amazon, or a 3rd party selling on Amazon?
What was the exact error message it showed?

ikarihiokami

Honorable
Sep 25, 2014
Reinstalling the Win 10 Home, on a new drive (the NVMe) will result in automatic activation.
The laptop is the same.

Applying the Win 10 Pro license SHOULD simply upgrade that Home install to Pro.

Was this actual Amazon, or a 3rd party selling on Amazon?
What was the exact error message it showed?

It was from Amazon itself. I have Prime, so I always try to get it directly from Amazon. I contacted microsoft and they said the code meant the servers were busy (0xc004f050) and to try again later. It's been awhile now and it still doesn't work.

USAFRet

Titan
OK

But, applying a valid Pro license to a Home install should just automatically boost it to Pro. Activation verification may happen later.

Solution

ikarihiokami

Honorable
Sep 25, 2014
OK

Thanks, I was just trying to figure out if I was missing something. So far, it says I still just have "Home". If I am still having problems tomorrow, guess I will just contact Microsoft again.