[SOLVED] Cant update Win10 due to Bios on Legacy mode

lance88

Honorable
Aug 4, 2015
I got Crucial CT1000P2SSD8 1TB M2 SSD awhile ago, started off with some issue getting the pc to identify this SSD, I had to change bios to legacy mode for it to work.

Soon after I had another issue where I get BSOD after installing a wifi6 network card, and I had to go into startup option to turn off driver signature enforcement (Just 1 time and it's done).

It was peaceful until the most recent October 2021's Win 10 update 21H1, where it gave me the same BSOD as the above and I will have to turn off the enforcement again. Once resolved, it will be able to boot into Windows but will undo the update, meaning I will never be able to receive anymore updates from now on as it will always crash.

I am also unable to upgrade to Windows 11 because it needs the above 2 to be non-legacy and secure boot required. I want to either continue as Windows 10 and able to keep it up to date or upgrade to Windows 11. Please help.

Last edited:

lance88

Honorable
Aug 4, 2015
I found the answers hence sharing here for those that need to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/wi...d=_tiiqswk92ckf60gaiyumtzj9rf2xra91rkcamwya00

Checks if your drive is MBR format

Follow the link to convert MBR to GPT, you will need to use /allowFullOS to work.

You can specific the disk number if its not 0. Eg, mbr2gpt /validate /disk:0 /allowFullOS

Once completed, restart and boot immediately into bios page and change boot mode to UEFI and viola.

If you yet to have windows installed, you can refer to the below solution:

-Have a USB and create a bootable win

-Remain boot set as UEFI and not CSM/legacy

-Have Windows 8.1/ 10 WHQL Support"="Enabled"

-Boot using the USB and initialize the drive as GPT then begin the installation

You should able to see nvme ssd at the end result while remain as UEFI bios.