[SOLVED] Cant use both monitors at the same time

Aug 13, 2021
Hello. A friend of mine recieved a new monitor. He has a MSI desktop PC with two HDMI ports and one VGA. He first connected each of the monitors too the pc with HDMI and chose HDMI source on the monitor settings. This only worked on one of his monitors, the other one showed "no signal". He tried changing the cables and stuff, but there was nothing wrong with the cables. The new monitor worked when he changed their HDMI-ports, but the main one that worked before, stopped working and got no signal. So only one HDMI-port worked. He tried using a VGA cable, but that didn't work either. He reinstalled graphics driver, didnt work. He went onto screen settings on his pc (windows 10) and tried to detect a new monitor, didnt work. He also tried to press "windows+p" and choose "expand" or whatever it is called. That didnt work and just reset his settings back to showing on display.

As we understand it, one of his HDMI-ports are broken or simply doesnt work, but we cant figure out why the VGA-port neither does work.
😕
And if the PC doesn't support multiple monitors, why does it have ports for more monitors, especially a VGA-port?

(His graphic card is geforce gtx 1060 3gb)

Last edited:
Solution
Hello. A friend of mine recieved a new monitor. He has a MSI desktop PC with two HDMI ports and one VGA. He first connected each of the monitors too the pc with HDMI and chose HDMI source on the monitor settings. This only worked on one of his monitors, the other one showed "no signal". He tried changing the cables and stuff, but there was nothing wrong with the cables. The new monitor worked when he changed their HDMI-ports, but the main one that worked before, stopped working and got no signal. So only one HDMI-port worked. He tried using a VGA cable, but that didn't work either. He reinstalled graphics driver, didnt work. He went onto screen settings on his pc (windows 10) and tried to detect a new monitor...

ShaQBlogs

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2016
  1. Do both monitors work independently ?
  2. Do all three ports work independently using just one monitor at a time (2 HDMI, 1 VGA) ?
  3. Do the cables work independently?
  4. I presume you have a VGA to HDMI or VGA to VGA. Either way I am not sure if you can get one monitor to work with VGA and one with HDMI.

Aug 13, 2021
  1. yes
  2. only one of his hdmi ports work when he only has one monitor plugged in. the vga and second hdmi apparently didnt work
  3. i think so. there is one hdmi cable from each monitor to each hdmi port in the pc
  4. he tried a vga to vga cable, which didnt work.

ShaQBlogs

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2016
  1. yes
  2. only one of his hdmi ports work when he only has one monitor plugged in. the vga and second hdmi apparently didnt work
  3. i think so. there is one hdmi cable from each monitor to each hdmi port in the pc
  4. he tried a vga to vga cable, which didnt work.
If the cables work, monitors work independently, then check your PC display settings and card display settings.

Aug 13, 2021
He got it working now using a displayport instead. He checked inside the PC and the HDMI port apparently didnt have any cables, so it was fake. Is that normal?

Hello. A friend of mine recieved a new monitor. He has a MSI desktop PC with two HDMI ports and one VGA. He first connected each of the monitors too the pc with HDMI and chose HDMI source on the monitor settings. This only worked on one of his monitors, the other one showed "no signal". He tried changing the cables and stuff, but there was nothing wrong with the cables. The new monitor worked when he changed their HDMI-ports, but the main one that worked before, stopped working and got no signal. So only one HDMI-port worked. He tried using a VGA cable, but that didn't work either. He reinstalled graphics driver, didnt work. He went onto screen settings on his pc (windows 10) and tried to detect a new monitor, didnt work. He also tried to press "windows+p" and choose "expand" or whatever it is called. That didnt work and just reset his settings back to showing on display.

As we understand it, one of his HDMI-ports are broken or simply doesnt work, but we cant figure out why the VGA-port neither does work.
😕
And if the PC doesn't support multiple monitors, why does it have ports for more monitors, especially a VGA-port?

(His graphic card is geforce gtx 1060 3gb)
He got it working now using a displayport instead. He checked inside the PC and the HDMI port apparently didnt have any cables, so it was fake. Is that normal?

The 1060 does not have VGA ports in any form. If yours has one, it's a fake card. Where was this card purchased? Was it oddly cheap?
Or were you connecting the cables to the motherboard connections? In which case that won't work since the system very likely disables onboard video with the add-on card. All the screens should be connected to the 1060 card.

You should not see any cables on the HDMI port, they connect to the board directly, what were you looking for there? You may be just not fully understanding how the computer build works and are looking for something that is not there or does not work the way you think it does.

Solution
Aug 13, 2021
The 1060 does not have VGA ports in any form. If yours has one, it's a fake card. Where was this card purchased? Was it oddly cheap?
Or were you connecting the cables to the motherboard connections? In which case that won't work since the system very likely disables onboard video with the add-on card. All the screens should be connected to the 1060 card.

You should not see any cables on the HDMI port, they connect to the board directly, what were you looking for there? You may be just not fully understanding how the computer build works and are looking for something that is not there or does not work the way you think it does.
I know that the HDMI-port is directly connected to the board/graphicscard, but he had one HDMI-port on the bottom (connected to the board) and one on top, not connected to anything. He said that there was no cable, or any other connection behind the upper HDMI-port.

I know that the HDMI-port is directly connected to the board/graphicscard, but he had one HDMI-port on the bottom (connected to the board) and one on top, not connected to anything. He said that there was no cable, or any other connection behind the upper HDMI-port.

You may want to post some pictures about what ports you are talking about exactly. All the ports on the video card should be connected and working. And I don't remember seeing a computer with a port on the motherboard but not electronically connected to anything. Usually they just leave a blank space on the PCB instead of putting in a port for something not connected.

If you were trying to use a VGA cable, that must have been on the motherboard ports, and those won't work in many cases if there is a video card installed, the motherboard would disable the onboard graphics.