Question Can't use CPU HDMI port?

Jul 7, 2022
I just got a PC with an NZXT N7 Z590 motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, RTX 3080 GPU, and 32GB of DDR4 ram. With my old setup, I had two monitors, one on an HDMI and the other on a DVI. Nor the 3080 or my motherboard have a DVI, but I have a converter so it's like I have two HDMI monitors. The thing is, I plugged the second monitor (the one that was originally DVI) into the motherboard/CPU HDMI port and it outputs no signal, no matter if my displays are set to Extend or Duplicate. I've tried going into the BIOS and setting it so both the integrated graphics and the 3080 are active, and no luck. Having two monitors is very important as I've used two monitors for years now and it's annoying to not see things like Discord while gaming without switching windows.

alexbirdie

Respectable
I suppose, your 3080 do have dp-input.

You might use a hdmi-dp-adapter to connect both hdmi-monitors to 3080.

sample-link:

https://www.inline-info.com/de/produkte/kabel/displayport-zu-hdmi-vga-dvi/?p=1

There are a lot of such adapters on the market, and you can find them f.i. on amazon, too.
Just google for hdmi-dp-adapter for connecting hdmi-monitor to dp . dp means display port.

Similar exists for dvi-dp-adapter.

With above adapters, you can connect your monitor with hdmi-input and the second one with dvi-input to the display-ports of your 3080.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it is common for the motherboard display outputs to be disabled by default when a GPU is installed. You can check the BIOS for settings related to that.

Still, no reason to use the integrated GPU, your 3080 is more than capable of running up to 4 displays.

I suspect the source of your problem is using a DVI to HDMI converter. That is for converting a DVI output to an HDMI signal, not the other way around. Does it look like this?

This will take your DP to DVI.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-DVI-D-Adapter-1920x1200/dp/B0035PS57C

Probably time to consider buying a new cheap monitor instead though.