Question Can't use headset mic while connected to HDMI

Feb 20, 2019
Good day everyone,

My current set up consist of a msi GT72 Dominator Pro G Laptop (i7 6700Hq, 16 GB DDR4, GTX 980m), Samsung 43 Inch LED TV and set of Claymore keyboard and mouse. I'm also running windows 10 64 bit. My problem lies in trying to use my headset (with Microphone) while connected to my TV as a monitor. I am currently able to listen to audio through my headset, however the PC doesn't recognize the headset as being plugged in under the sound tab. Unfortunately the laptop wont use the mic on the headset and is instead defaulting to the built in mic on the laptop. The laptop doesn't recognize that a headset is plugged in so there is no option under sound for me to select it as a default communications device. When i'm not plugged in to the TV however, the laptop uses me headset and mic as it should. Is there anyway to get it to use my Headset and mic while connected to my tv via hdmi as a monitor?

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
The port you are using on the TV is likely audio output only. The laptop could also be the same. you can get a splitter 1 -> 2 if your laptop has a mic jack aswell.

EDIT: i just looked at the laptop and it does have separate mic/headphone jack so you will need a splitter