Can't use OEM Win7 Key on Win10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgrevemberg

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Well I'm in a pickle.

I wrote down my product Id under compuer> properties on windows 7. I then did a clean install of win10 from a usb stick. Appearently that was the wrong thing to write down.

It has a format like this XXXXX-OEM-XXXXXXX-XXXXX

Win10 wont accept Zero's or O's in the product key slot to activate and I am assuming now that the product key and the product id are not the same thing. What a blunder lol.

Anything I can do?

Solution
You need a pre-installed and registered copy of windows 7 to install the free windows 10 upgrade for the first time..
The installer checks the windows 7 registration and hardware id and binds the windows 10 license to the hardware.
Afterwards you can do a clean windows 10 install without entering a key.

Windows 7 keys are not compatible with windows 10..

kgrevemberg

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

I have the case of my original acer pc that the windows 7 was tied to. I've changed cases and a few parts since then. The case has the original product key on it but that isn't working either? Is there anything I can do?

RushTac

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
You need a pre-installed and registered copy of windows 7 to install the free windows 10 upgrade for the first time..
The installer checks the windows 7 registration and hardware id and binds the windows 10 license to the hardware.
Afterwards you can do a clean windows 10 install without entering a key.

Windows 7 keys are not compatible with windows 10..

Solution
When you checked if it can be upgraded and downloaded from that pc, it checks your hardware. If it asks for a key during a clean install you can skip that step and it will auto activate once it checks your hardware after windows installed.

InvalidError

Titan
The official upgrade method is to let the Get Windows X wizard upgrade your existing installation and that is supposed to take care of updating Microsoft's activation database.

You may need to reinstall and reactivate Win7, then do the upgrade from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS