Question Can't use windows password reset tools on UEFI HP Envy laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 13, 2019
How to get password reset software (Bootable from USB) working on a laptop that's using UEFI boot. I tried to turn on legacy and managed to boot from USB but that only caused a crash. I read that it might not be possible to boot from USB 3.2 but I don't think the computer has any 2.0 ports. There is a CD/DVD reader tho but I don't have any CDs at hand right now.

The funny thing is that Windows 10 ISO booted without problems and I could access CMD but Windows defender blocked my attemts to replace system32\utilman.exe with system32\cmd.exe. I guess Windows 10 has gotten some security updates and it's not that easy anymore. So the only thing that I could think about was password cracking tools.

So far I've tried Windows Password Recovery tool, ophcrack (meant for win 7 but people said it works on 10 too) and PCunlocker. PCunlocker (with universal USB installer) was the one that managed to boot but then crashed.

The laptop I'm using is HP ENVY Notebook S/N: CND6050VM1

Any help would be highly appreciated.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
It is a violation of the forum rules to discuss anything regarding defeating security, including password cracking of any sort.

Presuming the laptop is your own, and we're not talking about the UEFI/BIOS password (and that does not appear to be the case), why not just do a completely clean reinstall of Windows 10?

Sep 13, 2019
It is a violation of the forum rules to discuss anything regarding defeating security, including password cracking of any sort.

Presuming the laptop is your own, and we're not talking about the UEFI/BIOS password (and that does not appear to be the case), why not just do a completely clean reinstall of Windows 10?

The owner himself has asked me to do this so I have his full permission for cracking his administrator password since he managed to forget it and hasn't used his laptop over a year because of this. It's a fairly new laptop but he has some data on it he does not wish to lose so it would be great if I could gain access without resetting Windows

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
It is against forum rules to discuss anything in regard to defeating security.

That being said, it is not against the rules to discuss extracting data before doing a completely clean install, which is what you're going to need to do.

Any drive pulled from a given machine can be connected as either an external drive or auxiliary internal drive on another. It is then an easy task to take ownership of the folders (and all files in them) and to copy those off to an external backup drive for later restoring after the drive they're copied from is reinstalled in the original machine and a completely clean reinstall has been performed.

No one here, or on any legitimate technical support site, is going to discuss password cracking these days, nor should they. Not that I'm doubting what you're saying, but I or any reader here has absolutely no way of knowing whether it's true or not, which is yet another reason that password cracking is not considered fit for discussion.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
By the way, and this isn't a violation to discuss, if the Windows 10 User Account is not a local account, but is a Microsoft Account Linked Windows 10 User Account, then using the change password feature on the Microsoft Account itself will propagate that password change down to the Windows 10 User Account linked to it.

One has to have internet access when using the new password that was changed this way for the very first time on the Windows 10 side. After it's been confirmed, then a local encrypted copy is kept and you can log in again using that password whether or not you have internet connectivity.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The owner himself has asked me to do this so I have his full permission for cracking his administrator password since he managed to forget it and hasn't used his laptop over a year because of this. It's a fairly new laptop but he has some data on it he does not wish to lose so it would be great if I could gain access without resetting Windows

Forum rules prevent this topic from being discussed here. This topic is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.