Can't view mpgs from my computer on my Infocus X1

James

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

I have a Radeon 9700 Pro hooked to my infocus X1 via a S-Video cable. It
works fine, but it doesn't display MPG videos - only thing I see is the
window media player window - it's black inside. Views perfect on my
computer screen. I've tried lowering my resolution to 800x600 with no
difference. Any ideas to try?

Thanks in advance!

James

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

Seriously...do really need to see pr0n in ultra-giganto-vision??? :)

Actually I think some Radeon's have an issue with being able to output video
to both a PC screen AND a TV screen at the same time (as in videos/movies,
not PC desktop which it can do fine). But I'm not sure if thats limited to
laptops or not....

I dont have a better answer, but someone here will....

"James" <james33@REMOVETHIS.midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have a Radeon 9700 Pro hooked to my infocus X1 via a S-Video cable. It
> works fine, but it doesn't display MPG videos - only thing I see is the
> window media player window - it's black inside. Views perfect on my
> computer screen. I've tried lowering my resolution to 800x600 with no
> difference. Any ideas to try?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> James

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

Try using other mpg players like Win Media, Winamp, or Quicktime.
"HeadRusch" <headrusch1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Seriously...do really need to see pr0n in ultra-giganto-vision??? :)
>
> Actually I think some Radeon's have an issue with being able to output
video
> to both a PC screen AND a TV screen at the same time (as in videos/movies,
> not PC desktop which it can do fine). But I'm not sure if thats limited
> laptops or not....
>
> I dont have a better answer, but someone here will....
>
> "James" <james33@REMOVETHIS.midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Radeon 9700 Pro hooked to my infocus X1 via a S-Video cable.
It
> > works fine, but it doesn't display MPG videos - only thing I see is the
> > window media player window - it's black inside. Views perfect on my
> > computer screen. I've tried lowering my resolution to 800x600 with no
> > difference. Any ideas to try?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > James

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

usually when a video format won't play, it relates to a codec that is
not present. Or the compression used to create it, is not a mainstream
(used often) codec.

"James" <james33@REMOVETHIS.midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have a Radeon 9700 Pro hooked to my infocus X1 via a S-Video
cable. It
> works fine, but it doesn't display MPG videos - only thing I see is
the
> window media player window - it's black inside. Views perfect on my
> computer screen. I've tried lowering my resolution to 800x600 with
no
> difference. Any ideas to try?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> James

"James" <james33@REMOVETHIS.midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have a Radeon 9700 Pro hooked to my infocus X1 via a S-Video cable. It
> works fine, but it doesn't display MPG videos - only thing I see is the
> window media player window - it's black inside. Views perfect on my
> computer screen. I've tried lowering my resolution to 800x600 with no
> difference. Any ideas to try?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> James

Gspot (from http://www.headbands.com/gspot/) will tell you what codec is
needed to play a particular file, and whether or not you have it, so you can
go and get whatever you need.
(Not all files with the suffix .mpg are necessarily the same!).

HTH,
laurence

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

hmmmmmm I seem to have missed the point...misunderstood the
'infocus' thing....won't play On the TV/monitor. Have you turned on
'clone' from the monitor properties?

"JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
> usually when a video format won't play, it relates to a codec that
is
> not present. Or the compression used to create it, is not a
mainstream
> (used often) codec.
>

> "James" <james33@REMOVETHIS.midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Radeon 9700 Pro hooked to my infocus X1 via a S-Video
> cable. It
> > works fine, but it doesn't display MPG videos - only thing I see
is
> the
> > window media player window - it's black inside. Views perfect on
my
> > computer screen. I've tried lowering my resolution to 800x600
with
> no
> > difference. Any ideas to try?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > James

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

As I've seen so far, Cat 4.4s don't have a "clone" feature.

> hmmmmmm I seem to have missed the point...misunderstood the
> 'infocus' thing....won't play On the TV/monitor. Have you turned on
> 'clone' from the monitor properties?
>
> "JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
> > usually when a video format won't play, it relates to a codec that
> is
> > not present. Or the compression used to create it, is not a
> mainstream
> > (used often) codec.
> >

> > "James" <james33@REMOVETHIS.midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a Radeon 9700 Pro hooked to my infocus X1 via a S-Video
> > cable. It
> > > works fine, but it doesn't display MPG videos - only thing I see
> is
> > the
> > > window media player window - it's black inside. Views perfect on
> my
> > > computer screen. I've tried lowering my resolution to 800x600
> with
> > no
> > > difference. Any ideas to try?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> > >
> > > James

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

So under display properties / settings/ advanced / displays- at the
bottom of each example of types of monitors there are no 1/4'' x 1/4''
blue icons that set cloning and primary monitors like the older
versions? I have just messed around and got 4.4's to load on WIN-ME
currently and the buttons are there.....but I am not sure if this is a
'legit' install. I'm checking individual versions of each file and see
if in fact this is completely 4.4.

"Philburg2" <philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> As I've seen so far, Cat 4.4s don't have a "clone" feature.
>
> "JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
> > hmmmmmm I seem to have missed the point...misunderstood the
> > 'infocus' thing....won't play On the TV/monitor. Have you turned
on
> > 'clone' from the monitor properties?
> >
> > "JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
> > > usually when a video format won't play, it relates to a codec
that
> > is
> > > not present. Or the compression used to create it, is not a
> > mainstream
> > > (used often) codec.
> > >

> > > "James" <james33@REMOVETHIS.midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > cable. It
> > is
> > > the
> > my
> > with
> > > no

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.home-theater.misc (More info?)

Yes, those are there, but an extended version is not the same as a clone it
seems. In my earlier post I explained how I have the same problem as the
original post. It seems only a primary display will show a video, but for
both to be primary they have to be synched up with the same refresh.

> So under display properties / settings/ advanced / displays- at the
> bottom of each example of types of monitors there are no 1/4'' x 1/4''
> blue icons that set cloning and primary monitors like the older
> versions? I have just messed around and got 4.4's to load on WIN-ME
> currently and the buttons are there.....but I am not sure if this is a
> 'legit' install. I'm checking individual versions of each file and see
> if in fact this is completely 4.4.
>

> "Philburg2" <philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > As I've seen so far, Cat 4.4s don't have a "clone" feature.
> >
> > "JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
> > > hmmmmmm I seem to have missed the point...misunderstood the
> > > 'infocus' thing....won't play On the TV/monitor. Have you turned
> on
> > > 'clone' from the monitor properties?
> > >
> > > "JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
> that
> > > is
> > > mainstream

> see
> > > is
> on
> > > my
> > > with

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

James wrote:
> I have a Radeon 9700 Pro hooked to my infocus X1 via a S-Video cable.
> It works fine, but it doesn't display MPG videos - only thing I see
> is the window media player window - it's black inside. Views perfect
> on my computer screen. I've tried lowering my resolution to 800x600
> with no difference. Any ideas to try?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> James

Like someone else said, the 'overlay' (the movie area) is shown on the
primairy display only. Not an ATI or hardware issue. So, make the S-Video
output the primairy channel, and you should be able to see the movie.

Also an option, is to activate the 'theatre' option at the overlay settings.
This will cause the movie to be shown directly to the TV, and ONLY the
movie. It will be like watching a DVD player.

Thomas