[SOLVED] Can't visit VPN websites

PowerUp_

Honorable
Sep 21, 2015
I want to download a VPN that I can use for Prime Video (ExpressVPN for example) yet whenever I try to access the ExpressVPN website, it says that it cannot be reached. This happens for but 2 of the VPN sites I've tried, and when I downloaded one of them (Speedify) and turned on the VPN, I was suddenly allowed access to the site?
What is causing this and what can I do to fix it?

Solution
This is one of those if you asked how do I block VPN I would tell you to pay for a subscription service because it is so hard to do. Change the DNS server on your pc to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1. This will prevent any simple DNS filter from blocking you.
It is likely being blocked by a firewall. This is not trivial to do since someone must keep up with lists of vpn providers and block them. Most ISP other than if you live in china don't care about vpn.

I am going to suspect either you do not control the router in your house or you live in something like student housing.

There might be parental control software loaded on your pc also but again this means someone is working very hard to prevent you from bypassing some form of restriction.

PowerUp_

Honorable
Sep 21, 2015
It is likely being blocked by a firewall. This is not trivial to do since someone must keep up with lists of vpn providers and block them. Most ISP other than if you live in china don't care about vpn.

I am going to suspect either you do not control the router in your house or you live in something like student housing.

There might be parental control software loaded on your pc also but again this means someone is working very hard to prevent you from bypassing some form of restriction.
I should've also mentioned that I went into the routers settings and temporarily disabled the firewall to check if this might be the case, and this seemed to have no effect.
I am a student but am currently home with my family and out of all of us I'm the most tech-savvy so I doubt they'd even know how to set up restrictions. (Also I love in the UK)
In addition to this, the computer I'm using is my own and it's a custom build I made earlier this year.
Are there any other suggestions as to why this might be happening?

This is one of those if you asked how do I block VPN I would tell you to pay for a subscription service because it is so hard to do. Change the DNS server on your pc to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1. This will prevent any simple DNS filter from blocking you.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS