Question Can't VPN Connect via WiFi Extender

Jarrett_4

Reputable
May 15, 2017
Hi all,

Im currently having an issue where I'm unable to connect to my work's VPN when I'm connected to my Netgear EX6150 WiFi extender.

Connecting to the router's WiFi signal directly works, however there is a distance issue hence why I need the extender.

This only started occuring after I had to switch to a different router that supported VLAN for ISP's requirements.

The VPN software in question is GlobalProtect VPN.

Connecting to a VPN via software such as SoftEther appears to work fine, so I assume the way GlobalProtect works is different.

Any advice/things to try would be appreciated.

Note; The router I am using is a TP Link MR6400.

Cheers

Jarrett_4

Reputable
May 15, 2017
Hi there - Did you get this sorted - we have the same problem following an ISP outage last week
Madge

Hi there,

I managed to resolve the issue by changing to a different router (not extender). For whatever reason the router I was using wasn't able to connect to my work VPN when connecting via the extender. I ended up using the ISP provided router instead.

It's strange that this would occur after an outage, maybe this is a case of the routers needing to support a specific tunneling feature required by the ISP when connecting to a VPN, and the outage by your ISP has initiated that change.

Sorry I don't have a better solution.

Jarrett_4

Reputable
May 15, 2017
Just thought I would add - I also experienced this issue years ago when I was with Telstra, using their provided router, it was completely unable to support VPN connections., Even directly to the router. This can occur when ISPs install their own firmware which breaks the VPN functioning.