[SOLVED] Can't wipe my hard drive

ville72

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018
I have tried doing it from CMD WITH administrator, and I have tried formatting but none of those methods seem to work. I did do windows reinstall but I can't make a new steam library in it since it says it can't write there. It could have to do with the fact that I'm not the right user when on my SSD so I can't write, but I can still not wipe it, no matter what.

I have disabled the read-only thingy in cmd, still not able to write.

Solution
So .. D: is the partition, that you're trying to format and put steam folder there. Right?
You can not format it, because it contains pagefile.
Move pagefile to C: first. Change virtual memory settings to do that.
(Control Panel\System\Advanced System Settings\Advanced\Performance\Settings\Advanced\Virtual Memory\Change)

RealBeast

Titan
What commands are you using? Diskpart with a clean command after selecting the drive (that is not the OS drive)? If you have another computer available you should be able to attach the drive and use either disk management to uninitialize the drive or diskpart to clean or clean all the drive.

ville72

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018
Yes, I did use the clean, but it said I couldn't use it since it has the current system startup files and such that I can't delete, even though I'm using my SSD for that.

Also, I don't own another PC.

ville72

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018
All the things the programs I've got to work says the hard drive is still in use. I tried the program I mentioned first, but I can't boot from the USb. I tried KillDisk and I couldn't create a bootable drive from there. Formatting the disk makes it say the disk is already in use, cmd says I can't wipe it since it has the startup files and such. Disk wipe says, "The volume is still in use"

USAFRet

Titan
All the things the programs I've got to work says the hard drive is still in use. I tried the program I mentioned first, but I can't boot from the USb. I tried KillDisk and I couldn't create a bootable drive from there. Formatting the disk makes it say the disk is already in use, cmd says I can't wipe it since it has the startup files and such. Disk wipe says, "The volume is still in use"
This does not answer the what or why.

Go back to the actual beginning.

ville72

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018
My problem was that I was not able to create a steam folder on the hard drive. I tried to disable read only through CMD but it didn't make any difference. I thought it might have to do with my permissions since I had made another user on the hard drive. If I go to the drive and right click on a file or folder, the remove has the windows blue and golden shield icon.

I'm really confused right now since I don't know what the problem is nor why none of the things I do work.

USAFRet

Titan
My problem was that I was not able to create a steam folder on the hard drive. I tried to disable read only through CMD but it didn't make any difference. I thought it might have to do with my permissions since I had made another user on the hard drive. If I go to the drive and right click on a file or folder, the remove has the windows blue and golden shield icon.

I'm really confused right now since I don't know what the problem is nor why none of the things I do work.
The simple act of installing the Steam client should have created a Steam folder in "Program Files (x86)"

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, I am
So you can create folders on that. HDD?
If so, there is no problem.

You can tell your Steam client about a location on a different drive. You can even designate that drive and folder as the Default install location for new games

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

ville72

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018
All side, DBAN not working is weird. That piece of code is notorious for wiping whole wrong disks because of users misusing it. LOL @ "MyJunk"
It could be rufus that's not working since that's what I used it put it on a USB. It won't boot from the USB even though I set the boot option to the usb.