[SOLVED] Can't Wipe Windows PC

jrarmstrong

Reputable
Jun 25, 2020
I have a PC that has was originally a Windows 7 OEM, was upgraded to Windows 10 then downgraded to Windows 8.1 (I know!).

I want to upgrade it to Windows 10 but the WIndows media creation tool fails when I try to upgrade direct to the PC or using a USB.

I have tried to refresh and reset it using the 8.1 tools (desktop and bios) but get the error that files are missing. I created a recovery USB as suggested but this gives a media not valid error.

I've spent too long on this already. There's no data that I need to keep so is the next step to try wiping it with a third party tool?

Thanks

Solution
During the Win 10 install, can you not just delete all existing partitions and continue on?

And of course, do this install with only ONE drive physically connected.

USAFRet

Titan
During the Win 10 install, can you not just delete all existing partitions and continue on?

And of course, do this install with only ONE drive physically connected.

Reactions: jrarmstrong
Solution
I want to upgrade it to Windows 10 but the WIndows media creation tool fails when I try to upgrade direct to the PC or using a USB.
What error do you get?
Can you show a screenshot?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
I have tried to refresh and reset it using the 8.1 tools (desktop and bios) but get the error that files are missing. I created a recovery USB as suggested but this gives a media not valid error.
That could mean either corrupted media or bad storage device.

Reactions: jrarmstrong

TRENDING THREADS