[SOLVED] Can't work out what's causing overheating, tried everything ?

Eke

Jul 22, 2021
Lenovo AIO 520 Intel i5

So I have the above all in one and its overheating. 100oC at 24% load. 70oC watching YouTube. Idling around 50 oC. Fan blowing very loud.

It's clean. It's had a change of thermal paste. Changed that for a thermal pad. Changed HDD for SSD and installed brand new Win 10 on it.

On the heat sink the half near the processor gets hot, but the half near the fan is cool... its cool to warmish air coming out. Its not airflow to the fan because it happens even with the back off the pc.

My brother thinks the fan needs replacing, would this be the case if it's cool air coming out? Any other ideas what could be causing it?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Eke

Jul 22, 2021
Yes, the thermal paste failed to work so I wanted to rule out a contact issue between paste, sink and CPU... the pad provided the pressure to test that theory.

Yes, the thermal paste failed to work so I wanted to rule out a contact issue between paste, sink and CPU... the pad provided the pressure to test that theory.
If cooler body is not heating up with CPU, it's clear sign that heat transfer between it and CPU (or any other element) is faulty. There's only one type of pad that comes close to paste conductivity.
https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/produkte/298-carbonaut

Solution

Eke

Jul 22, 2021
If cooler body is not heating up with CPU, it's clear sign that heat transfer

Like I said, the cooler body is heating up. The half near the CPU is extreamly hot to touch, the half near the fan is cool.

I changed the paste and that didn't work. The pad was in response to the paste not working, should the block screws be loose the fact the pad can't be squeezed out (due to vibration) just confirmed this was not the issue. Both pad and paste are equally not working.

To confirm. The problem is not the paste or pad, both have been changed to no effect.

Is it normal for half the sink to be hot and half be cold, or does that suggests the fan is having an issue cooling the entire sink? Or would that happen if there was poor contact between sink and CPU, in which case would I need a new heat sink, given both paste and pad have been tried.

Edit: HERE is a picture showing the hot and cold half of the sink. Ignore the dust on the fan, it was cleaned a week ago I've ruled that out.

Last edited:
Like I said, the cooler body is heating up. The half near the CPU is extreamly hot to touch, the half near the fan is cool.

I changed the paste and that didn't work. The pad was in response to the paste not working, should the block screws be loose the fact the pad can't be squeezed out (due to vibration) just confirmed this was not the issue. Both pad and paste are equally not working.

To confirm. The problem is not the paste or pad, both have been changed to no effect.

Is it normal for half the sink to be hot and half be cold, or does that suggests the fan is having an issue cooling the entire sink? Or would that happen if there was poor contact between sink and CPU, in which case would I need a new heat sink, given both paste and pad have been tried.
One other reason for overheating could be sudden CPU voltage jumps, have you checked for that ?

Eke

Jul 22, 2021
That's not very high if on idle but what about under load ? You never said anything about your system including cooling.

When under load its around the 0.9v range, idle abound 0.6.

The processor is Intel Core i5 6200u. Here is an image inside the PC, i have circled the hot and cold areas of the heat sink. View: http://imgur.com/gallery/8DZFzj0
(the fan has been cleaned a number of times, so although it looks dusty I have ruled that out).

Reactions: Eke

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
When under load its around the 0.9v range, idle abound 0.6.

The processor is Intel Core i5 6200u. Here is an image inside the PC, i have circled the hot and cold areas of the heat sink. View: http://imgur.com/gallery/8DZFzj0
(the fan has been cleaned a number of times, so although it looks dusty I have ruled that out).
I agree with CountMike, that is a very long and poorly designed heat pipe. There is no way your system will be effectively cooled.

Reactions: Eke

Eke

Jul 22, 2021
Yep, I don't see any other way it would be hot in one end and stone cold in another.

Thanks. When I first became aware there was a problem I cleaned it and there was a strange black goo in the radiator, perhaps that was the leak. Makes complete sense now.

Big mistake ever buying that junk, only 4 years old and they already stopped selling the parts. New pc it is then.

Thanks again.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Thanks. When I first became aware there was a problem I cleaned it and there was a strange black goo in the radiator, perhaps that was the leak. Makes complete sense now.

Big mistake ever buying that junk, only 4 years old and they already stopped selling the parts. New pc it is then.

Thanks again.
Now, I think the thermal paste has leaked. You may have to reapply it (if the 'gloo' was coming from the area of the CPU).

TRENDING THREADS