[SOLVED] Cant't Decide

morgan2190

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Alright this is going to be a long one.

Basically I want to upgrade my gpu, currently running a 1070ti, I also just upgraded to a nice 1440p 144hz g sync monitor. Don't get me wrong the 1070 with some settings tweaked is enough however i still want to upgrade and I am having a tough time deciding. Here are my options,

1. wait approx. 2 months and get a nice rtx 2080ti
  2. Hold out for navi's bigger gpu's 5800/5900
  3. Buy a used 1080ti, however im skeptical buying used.
  4. Have one or more of you convince me that a 2070/80 super or 5700 xt is the better option

In before I get flamed, option 1 should be the obvious choice? Current gpu pricing and the rumors of the bigger navi cards have me second guessing everything. Should I wait? Will the wait be worth it? Will the next generation be so good that I will want to upgrade regardless if i get 2080ti, 70/80 super?

Obviously this is my choice no matter what evidence you guys provide me with i have to make a choice. Opinions and general advice is what im looking for, thanks in advance to anyone that gives me their input.

P.S
Specs
CPU: 3600x
MOBO: MSI b450 gaming plus
RAM: 16gb ddr4 3200 cl16
GPU: Asus strix 1070ti OC edition
PSU: 550 watt thermaltake toughpower Soon to be a seasonic focus 750 watt
Case: Define R5

Solution
With no facts available today about future models all we have is speculation and that as far as I know isn’t changing any time soon. So I would say you buy a gpu when you want to upgrade based on the reviews available today, trying to predict the future will either leave you never upgrading or disappointed about your choice.

The only thing I will say about the future is I highly doubt AMD will bring anything that competes with the 2080Ti. AMD have been clear in recent years their strategy is to aim for the higher volume gpu tiers and not enter the market leading, high risk low volume tier to others (NVidia). You never know they might surprise us but I think it’s unlikely.
With no facts available today about future models all we have is speculation and that as far as I know isn’t changing any time soon. So I would say you buy a gpu when you want to upgrade based on the reviews available today, trying to predict the future will either leave you never upgrading or disappointed about your choice.

The only thing I will say about the future is I highly doubt AMD will bring anything that competes with the 2080Ti. AMD have been clear in recent years their strategy is to aim for the higher volume gpu tiers and not enter the market leading, high risk low volume tier to others (NVidia). You never know they might surprise us but I think it’s unlikely.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Solution
  1. wait approx. 2 months and get a nice rtx 2080ti
  2. Hold out for navi's bigger gpu's 5800/5900
  3. Buy a used 1080ti, however im skeptical buying used.
  4. Have one or more of you convince me that a 2070/80 super or 5700 xt is the better option
  1. - Expensive choice. If you have money burning your pocket and you just want it spent, then sure.
  2. - Future products. Hard to predict.
  3. - GTX 1080 Ti performance is similar to RX 5700XT, RTX 2070 Super, RTX 2080. Not worth it (unless you can get it for price significantly below 5700XT).
  4. - Yes, this one. RTX 2070 Super or RTX 2080 Super probably would be my choice. They are perfect for 1440p 144hz.

morgan2190

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015

Nice level headed response, thank you for that. I was unaware of AMD'S strategy for gpu's.

morgan2190

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
  1. - Expensive choice. If you have money burning your pocket and you just want it spent, then sure.
  2. - Future products. Hard to predict.
  3. - GTX 1080 Ti performance is similar to RX 5700XT, RTX 2070 Super, RTX 2080. Not worth it (unless you can get it for price significantly below 5700XT).
  4. - Yes, this one. RTX 2070 Super or RTX 2080 Super probably would be my choice. They are perfect for 1440p 144hz.
Okay so judging from the replies so far I have the choice of 2070 super, 2080 super or 2080 ti. In terms of my budget, im still young and work part time, so really as long as i can be patient the skies the limit. However that doesn't mean it has to be.

Nice level headed response, thank you for that. I was unaware of AMD'S strategy for gpu's.
It’s a similar question that comes frequently. I personally think it’s difficult to tell someone what is right for them, it’s often easy to point out what looks like a bad idea. I know myself sometimes my purchases are rational, others less so. Also X amount of money can mean very different things to someone else.

I don’t see any bad ideas.

morgan2190

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
It’s a similar question that comes frequently. I personally think it’s difficult to tell someone what is right for them, it’s often easy to point out what looks like a bad idea. I know myself sometimes my purchases are rational, others less so. Also X amount of money can mean very different things to someone else.

I don’t see any bad ideas.
Very insightful mate thank you, whilst ive got you here any recommendations on an aftermarket gpu?

Very insightful mate thank you, whilst ive got you here any recommendations on an aftermarket gpu?
If me for 1440p 144Hz I’d pick a 2080/2080 Super, one that was among the cheaper for its model but with a cooler that gets good reviews. This depends on the offers available to you. Going for a premium 2080/2080 Super yields minimal gain for significant extra cost.

I also think the 2080Ti is overpriced. I would rather drop a level or 2 and save the money for a future upgrade where the price/performance is better. This is a little driven by I don’t mind sacrificing game settings as the games I play tend to be fast moving and the extra detail from max settings I don’t get time to really notice.

morgan2190

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
If me for 1440p 144Hz I’d pick a 2080/2080 Super, one that was among the cheaper for its model but with a cooler that gets good reviews. This depends on the offers available to you. Going for a premium 2080/2080 Super yields minimal gain for significant extra cost.

I also think the 2080Ti is overpriced. I would rather drop a level or 2 and save the money for a future upgrade where the price/performance is better. This is a little driven by I don’t mind sacrificing game settings as the games I play tend to be fast moving and the extra detail from max settings I don’t get time to really notice.
Really appreciate you helping me out, I think I finally now know what to save for. Cheers again!