Question capacitor b450m tuf gaming plus

Sep 29, 2020
I just found a broken capacitor in my case after hearing something rattling around in my case when toting it around. I'm not sure what to do about it, the computer seems to be running fine still. I've never soldered and don't know much about capacitors and the like. Should I have it fixed or should I just not worry about?
I'm pretty sure it got knocked off when install my new GPU, was kind of tricky to get in.

Are you sure the capacitor is from the motherboard, and not from the graphics card? Either way, if a capacitor has been knocked off, whatever it was knocked off OF, is done, and should be replaced or repaired, and in most cases on motherboards or graphics cards the average person or even most common repair shops are not capable of the detailed soldering required to fix such a component. I would recommend that you uninstall the motherboard if the capacitor came from that, and begin an RMA with the manufacturer. Simply explain to them that you noticed it in the bottom of the case and it had fallen off. Don't offer any extra information such as you just installed a graphics card, since you don't actually know for sure if you knocked it off or not. It could simply have been poorly soldered to begin with.

Warranty it, or try to anyhow. If you can't or they won't, then you would be very wise to replace whatever it came off of because caps are there for a reason and losing one could result in a catastrophic failure of multiple flavors.

I just found a broken capacitor in my case after hearing something rattling around in my case when toting it around. I'm not sure what to do about it, the computer seems to be running fine still. I've never soldered and don't know much about capacitors and the like. Should I have it fixed or should I just not worry about?
I'm pretty sure it got knocked off when install my new GPU, was kind of tricky to get in.
Have you found the location where the capacitor came from? many capacitors are redundant, or that one may have been installed on a circuit you don't even use. If so, trying to re-install it may cause more problems than it would fix if they don't do a decent job of it.

A picture of the cap and the location it came from would be helpful too. A popular spot to knock off capacitors- the circular 'can' caps in particular- is the Audio section along the back edge of the board underneath the add-in card slot covers. Probably from installing GPU's and the sort.

That's true, to some degree, but it's still potentially a problem and knowing where it came from would be a very good idea. IMO if you can get something replaced even if it means paying a small fee to do it, it's worth it if parts have "fallen off", regardless of how they fell off.

But I agree there CAN be SOME cases where the loss of the cap might not be the end of the world, at least not for now, but you might regret not having that board whole later.

Sep 29, 2020

I'm pretty sure it got knocked off when install my new GPU, was kind of tricky to get in. please help thanks

Sep 29, 2020
Have you found the location where the capacitor came from? many capacitors are redundant, or that one may have been installed on a circuit you don't even use. If so, trying to re-install it may cause more problems than it would fix if they don't do a decent job of it.

A picture of the cap and the location it came from would be helpful too. A popular spot to knock off capacitors- the circular 'can' caps in particular- is the Audio section along the back edge of the board underneath the add-in card slot covers. Probably from installing GPU's and the sort.
fLnzBUG.jpg
this is the location bro, i already contact the store i bought this mobo but it takes a day when he replied so i don't have an idea what to do right now. And it's still working bro

fLnzBUG.jpg
this is the location bro, i already contact the store i bought this mobo but it takes a day when he replied so i don't have an idea what to do right now. And it's still working bro
It's hard to say just what circuit it belongs to, but almost certainly not the audio. What I'd fear is it might be a filter cap associated with a VRM circuit that powers that M.2 slot that's currently unused. With what looks like the old cap's leads still there it also might be an easy repair to solder on a replacement. I'm with @Darkbreeze that it may be a good idea to get it fixed if you can or you'll be miffed when you want to populate that empty M.2.

Reactions: alexis055
That one, MIGHT be repairable by an experienced repair tech. I would not try it myself though, and I've replaced dozens or maybe even tens of dozens of them on various TV and stereo power boards, but it has to be very precise on a motherboard like this. A little too much heat in one spot for too long, or one mistake, and you could easily "poof" some other part of the board. I'd return it, RMA it or take it to a very reputable repair facility with a really good electronics guy that has many years of experience in such repairs.

That's just my opinion though. Somebody else might believe they can replace it themselves, and if so, I say more power to them. Personally I'd take it to a repair tech with far more experience than I have and much higher end tools, and if he can't fix it, which should be fairly inexpensive really, then I'd just trash it if it can't be replaced. Again, that's just me. Well, maybe not "trash" it, but definitely it wouldn't see any more use as my primary board. I'd put it aside for use as a testing board for troubleshooting.

Reactions: alexis055