Capcom Announces 'Mega Man 11,' Coming Late 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Rather than sticking to the usual flat and pixelated 2D look, Mega Man 11 will add 3D visual elements to the side-scrolling game.
OMG, I had no idea it was still straight 2D. I remember playing Einhander, on the original Playstation, that broke this particular ground.

the first collection will also get an update that allows players to rewind gameplay if they make a mistake.
Now that actually sounds cool. I wonder if they even went to the trouble of adding VHS-esque rewind artifacts...

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Mega Man 1 - 6 were all released on the NES in the last 80's and early 90's. Presentation wise, they're all have a very similar 2D look to them. Capcom wasn't overly ambitious with changing Mega Man's appearance back then.

Every old Mega Man game following the first 6 attempted to leverage the additional processing power of the console it was featured on. Mega Man 7 and Rockman and Bass had SNES level graphics. Mega Man 8 had PS1/Saturn level graphics.

More than a decade went by before another release in the core Mega Man series. When they finally got around to making Mega Man 9 and 10, they were a throw back to the oldest games in the series. The graphics and gameplay were heavily influenced by Mega Man 2.

It seems like they're shooting for a more modern look with 11. I've read that some people are afraid that tinkering with the presentation will ruin Mega Man. I've also heard people talking about Capcom's bad reputation for the last 10 years. I can't comment on rumors about reputation but I'm remaining optimistic about this new game.

It's probably easier to acclimate younger players to the Mega Man difficulty level with this feature but beating these old games without the help of cheats is something to be proud of. If Capcom insists on having this feature..... I admit it would look cool with a retro VHS aesthetic.

This game looks like the concept that Mighty No. 9 was originally pitched as during it's first crowdfunding campaign, back before it got downgraded and delayed and ultimately bombed. At least Capcom has a lot of good feedback to work off of from that to put toward their own version of a modernized Mega Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.