Question Capping fps & Gsync

Sheep500

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
Hi, I have a 1070ti card running on an Acer 144hz 1080p monitor with Gsync. Cpu is i5 8400 with 16b ddr4 ram at 2666.
I'm struggling to get my games butter smooth as everyone says gsync should be.
One thing I've wondered for ages is frame rate capping. Why is it no matter what I cap my fps to it drops? I can hold over 90 fps (minimum) on bfv but if I cap it to say 75 it'll drop to 74 and 80 to 79 etc etc etc.
I am extremely sensitive to fps drops and latency and spend more time tinkering with games rather than playing them.
Am I right in having gsync set to on in control panel as well as vsync on but off in game?
Any help much appreciated.
Andy

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
No vsync off everywhere unless you have a good reason to use it with gsync, you will still have the added input lag of vsync if it's on, even if gsync is on as well. It will also cap framerate to your refresh rate.

Not sure about the framerate cap, I have noticed this as well. But I have never felt the need to use a framerate cap since I got my gsync monitor, unless my fps was exceeding my refresh rate. My guess is the 1fps dip you see are 0.1% and 1% lows, they ar e often so quick you don't see them register on an fps counter. You can monitor this using the frametime graph with msi afterburner or similar.

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
Hi, I have a 1070ti card running on an Acer 144hz 1080p monitor with Gsync. Cpu is i5 8400 with 16b ddr4 ram at 2666.
I'm struggling to get my games butter smooth as everyone says gsync should be.
One thing I've wondered for ages is frame rate capping. Why is it no matter what I cap my fps to it drops? I can hold over 90 fps (minimum) on bfv but if I cap it to say 75 it'll drop to 74 and 80 to 79 etc etc etc.
I am extremely sensitive to fps drops and latency and spend more time tinkering with games rather than playing them.
Am I right in having gsync set to on in control panel as well as vsync on but off in game?
Any help much appreciated.
Andy
If your running an SSD your gaming experience will be smoother than running on an HDD. I unfortunately run my games of an HDD and I often get lag spikes or just some little flaws in quality. If your running off an HDD and your looking for a "butter smooth gaming experience" I would highly recommend grabbing yourself an SSD. I am no help whatsoever with your questions regarding Vsync and Gsync but I just figured I'd pipe in since I noticed your comment about butter smooth gaming.

Sheep500

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
Thank you for the replies.
I forgot to state that I'm on SSD drives for Windows and my games.
I will try once more by taking vsync off in control panel also.
I cap fps to 141 - only because from what I've read about the recommended way to setup gsync is with vsync on in nvcpl but off in games as it prevents tearing at top and bottom of screen.
On the practice range it's butter smooth - even 90 fps feels amazing but in game even 100fps feels stutter and laggy.
I'd say my average fps in bfv is +110fps.
Im on the second latest nvidia drivers.
Windows is win10 Pro latest 1809 version too.

Last edited:
Nvcp is smart enough to just use gsync if you turn vsync on there. That was fixed a few years ago.

You just said “games” but “practice range” looks like BFV. Your cpu will always work harder to deal with multiplayer - that’s why practice range is smooth. BFV will push even an overclocked 8600k very near 100% on several cores, so an 8400 is going to have stutters or dropped frames.

You can try disabling hpet to see if you get less stutter. Fixes some, not others.

Would also try both DX11 and 12 to see which does it less (12 was a mess til a couple patches ago).

Reactions: Sheep500

Sheep500

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
Thanks for the reply mate.
Dx 12 was best since launch but flitting between the two now I see not too much difference.
I will try the hpet stuff - I did that when I had an i7 2600k and it worked wonders for stutter and latency.

Reactions: J_E_D_70

Sheep500

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
The lowest I can get the wintimer tester to is 10.00000 Mhz.
Its like an internet latency. Yes it's BFV I was talking about and the practice range is butter smooth and never goes below a capped 141 Fps.
I've tried capping at 90 in the practice range - again butter smooth but in a server its not smooth - even higher than 90 Fps isn't smooth.
I've used latencymon and everything is green.
Its a bizarre one ..